Apple ipads (again)

Like I said, everyone is entitled to their view and what is optimal for some is not for others. Why this is a matter of religious fervour for some people is completely beyond me, but the arguments put forward on both sides rarely bear up to objective examination and even those that do stand up often fail to take account of differing needs. Some people buy Apple because it's cool. Others buy it because it's quality kit that just works and they have something they need it for. Other people buy a box of bits and pieces and put it together with some weird and wonderful OS because they like playing with things and don't have anything important they need to rely on it for. Most people buy what looks the best deal at the time. All of them are right, in their own terms. If there was a single solution that was perfect for everyone, there would be no market, just like for every other device, cars, tools, houses etc etc. The OP here was asking about storage and whether it's an issue, not what brand to buy. Why? Because a higher authority (i.e. the family) had already decided that only an iPad would do the job. It doesn't matter whether that decision is rationally the best because a) nobody's asking that question and b) it's already been made. Debate over on that front, I'm afraid.

Reply to
GMM

Indeed. It's nice to have the option though - most android devices don't (not officially at least).

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Well, in the last week, I've seen several that can't connect to our email system (activesync support in android is hilariously bad).

Failed over the email systems to another node - no one but android owners noticed.

Several call about the buggy implementation of WPA enterprise wireless

A whole group of students who can't connect to their email using IMAP, all turned out to be using Jelly Bean.

Plenty more - I don't directly deal with them, they are just the ones I can think of. Still, better than the blackberry 7 devices - they can't do WPA enterprise at all.

Inconsistent interface (every model is slightly different).

Unreliable (how many reboots a day? At least one on many of our androids)

Hard to setup (many options for wifi and email setup - iOS just needs email addr and password for example)

Once setup and working, routine system work then breaks them. Failing over an exchange cluster causes them problems. Moving activesync services kills them entirely forcing users to delete and re-add the account. etc etc

How many devices do you have experience of actually supporting? We tend to see most flavours with 20k students...

Officially? If so, that's a good start.

I'd debate some of that, but yes, it's a nice machine.

It's not UNIX...

Improves by the month - yes. Stable? I'd say "stableish" maybe...

I didn't say that - Apple only play at the quality end of the market. I didn't say they were the only ones there.

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

I reboot my phone very much less often than once a week. So certainly not a universal problem.

Reply to
polygonum

En el artículo , D.M.Chapman escribió:

GNU's not UNIX, of course...

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

The only fervour is those who attach themselves to a brand.

Absolute Tripe. Objectively look at what is on the market and proprietary products like Apple is instantly dismissed as it offers nothing that a quality open system offers. Then look at the price and it is fate acompli.

Which is intangible and unobjective.

< snip unobjective misinformed drivel >
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

So, buying a quality Android device is comparing apples with apples - sorry about the pun.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

What make and model?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Well, it's good to see such open minded objectivity.

Reply to
GMM

Samsung Galaxy S2

Reply to
polygonum

GMM wrote: misinformed drivel >

Thank. A part of life was assessing computer systems. I tried to move from proprietary products when possible. All servers were UNIX and no NT.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I have not rebooted my S2 once.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

All are UNIX based !!!!! And UNIX look-alike. There are many versions of UNIX as well. But the basic kernel architecture of all derivatives is very UNIX like.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

And which credit card reader did you end up with on the counter?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Shelf stacking .NE. assessing

Reply to
Steve Firth

This man is a plantpot

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

This man is a pure idiot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

We have all agreed that you are a pure idiot.

Reply to
Steve Firth

This fool is totally witless. He needs a good beating for his own good.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

A good kicking would indeed sort you out. Sadly it won't teach you English grammar and thus prevent you from making derogatory comments about yourself.

Reply to
Steve Firth