Rotten Apple?

Son has sent me a message to subscribe to his photo album while he is on holiday.
I click on the subscribe link, and it wants my Apple ID. To get an Apple ID, it appears I have to have an iSomething. I don't.
Is there any way of getting an Apple ID, or some way round this?
All the rest of the family just use Windows/Android.
--
Bill

Bill wrote:

Thanks, Andy!
But during the process, everything Windows seemed to conspire against me with updates. Then tea was declared. I thought I had confirmed the Apple ID, allowed the W10, AV, Browser and VMWare updates to happen, then it came back with a login screen.
On entering the email and password, it said that I have to use the login with an iOS or OSx device to set it up before using the iCloud login for Windows.
I've given up for tonight, but will start again tomorrow.
--
Bill

I too have tried this but gave up at this point. Even if you can get it working now, at some future point it is bound to stop working due to some improvement either at Apple or Windows. Then you have to spend another few hours finding out how to get it working again. Life's too short.
--
Evremonde

Here is where I have got to:
My emails, including the one from my son, come in via Turnpike on a virtual 32-bit W7 machine. In trying to set up the Apple ID, I used Firefox in the VM.
On checking today, it appears I have registered an Apple ID and today, unlike last night, I can get to the management screen.
I then tried logging in and going to "Manage" in the 64-bit W10 host machine. This appears to have worked.
When I try to look at his photo album in either OS, I get the following message: "iCloud Photo Sharing is not available for this device".
I think I'll give up unless anyone can suggest a magic way forward.
--
Bill

On 16/05/2019 10:11, Bill wrote:

Bill. I should give up. You are clearly too stupid to use a computer.
--
“The fundamental cause of the trouble in the modern world today is that
the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt."

You are probably right.
When we had a computer related business, my big strength was in the testing, as I excelled at making stupid mistakes that would uncover hidden obscure bugs that the software writers had missed.
I was moderately good then with the diagnostics in analysing whereabouts the problems were.
But, "iCloud Photo Sharing is not available for this device" isn't exactly a helpful message.
I'm trying one last pass through the various instructions and have reached the stage where a restart is called for, so I'll post this and disappear.
--
Bill

OK, I've given up.
It still insists that I log in from an Apple device before I can use iCloud Photo Sharing in Windows.
As far as I can tell, I've followed all the instructions to the letter.
--
Bill

On Thu, 16 May 2019 12:42:39 +0100

It reminds me of when I wanted to join a TomTom forum, so I could complain about the wrong directions that lorry drivers using the devices followed, and ended up trying to drive through our living room. TomTom Forums needed my device serial number to register, but since I didn't have a TomTom, this was impossible. Another kind of Catch-22 situation.
--
Davey.

On Thursday, 16 May 2019 14:10:00 UTC+1, Davey wrote:

I'm not sure why yuo didnlt try migration assistant first, from the apllications/utilities folder. The n you can select thin gs to copy or not to copy over, it doesn't give you detailed options but things like photos, apps, documents, network setting, desktop etc.
Personly I'd forget about using icloud to start with, unless you had the PC set up with it previously.
A friend that uses my Macmini for backup and uploading to youtube complained that copying videos from photos to the desktop was tacking ages 30 mins plus. What he was doing was copying videos from photos to the desktop of his icloud account, rather than the computer desktop, he was also backing up his ipad and iphone to his icloud account that was full.

Well I can understand that, some componies don;t want comments from people that don't use their products.

Give up.
Apple have built a secure walled garden around their sharing service, intended for families, er, iFamilies.
Your son should be able to post snaps to other services on his device. Whatsapp?
or wait until he comes home - which is what we used to wait for in the old days, the slide show ...
--
Adrian C

He seems to have largely reverted to email so I now have quite a few pictures and a video he took of the bear opening the door of the pickup truck next door, climbing in and emerging with packet of crisps it had found. Today he is in the Smoky Mountains.
I remember slide shows. Ages to set up, the smell of hot dust on the lamp and, ultimately, tedium.
--
Bill

On 16/05/2019 10:11, Bill wrote:

Have you followed:
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT205323
--
Cheers,

John.

That tells you (or purports to tell you) how to upload photos from your Apple gadget to iCloud. It doesn't tell you how to use a Windows machine to look at somebody else's photos on iCloud.
--
Evremonde

On 16/05/2019 19:07, The Marquis Saint Evremonde wrote:

It includes:
"Turn on iCloud Photos
Download iCloud for Windows. Open iCloud for Windows. Next to Photos, click Options. Select iCloud Photo Library. Click Done, then click Apply. Turn on iCloud Photos on all of your Apple devices.
You can also choose to use My Photo Stream and iCloud Photo Sharing (Shared Albums), and customize the location of your upload and download folders.
When you turn on iCloud Photos on your PC, My Photo Stream is turned off automatically. If you want to send new photos to your devices that don't use iCloud Photos, you can turn My Photo Stream back on."
Now assuming the uploader has already done the iCloud apple devices bit, the PC bit ought[1] to work.
[1] although in the same way as many iThink things are ought to work - i.e. quite possibly not at at all or badly.
--
Cheers,

John.

At this stage, it asks for Username and Password. Enter them and it says "Cannot Sign In. Your Apple ID must be used to setup iCloud on an iOS or OSX device before you can use iCloud for Windows." I have tested what happens if I enter the wrong password here. It says Incorrect Password as expected.
This is basically where I have got to many times, and why I gave up.
I only revisited it because I know John is trying to help.
In both the real and virtual machines' Start Menu I now have an iCloud Photos option. Clicking this brings up a Download and Upload icon in what appears to be a subfolder of This PC. I can drag and drop into either of these folders, but can't make head or tail of whether the file has gone anywhere.
I really must stop wasting any more time on this!

--
Bill

On 17/05/2019 00:33, Bill wrote:

I suspect that in this case you would need to sign in using your Son's apple ID - that would probably circumvent the catch 22 you find yourself in.
--
Cheers,

John.
Bill wrote:

Magic way forward is to distance yourself from anything apple and not kowtow,If he wants you to see photos he just has to do what the rest of the family does
On 15/05/2019 23:45, Bill wrote:

There are iOS emulators that will run on Windows. Using one of them might help.
--
Michael Chare

On 16/05/2019 17:06, Michael Chare wrote:

Get your son to log you in using his machine but your identity.
--
The New Left are the people they warned you about.