Reply to message

Hi I posted a message titled " Craftsman snow thrower", I received a reply, now I wish to reply but when i click "reply" in the message area it only reverts back to the messges. Any help here? Mike

Reply to
Mikel

He's not. It appears he's using the web-based Google groups and Linux OS.

Reply to
G Henslee

"Mikel" wrote

You're posting through Google. IMHO NG's are hard to follow reading through Google, don't know about posting through it. There are a lot of news readers, but I'm sure you probably have OE without downloading any further readers. Configure OE so you can subscribe to the newsgroups of choice. ATT carries alt.home.repair and thousands of others, if they don't carry one you want but know of, post to "worldnet.help.service-issues.misc" and within a couple hours their servers will be carrying the NG you want.

Reply to
johnny

Hi, all the above is greek to me. Sorry. I switched to Internet explorer fro netscape and it seems to work better. Can you tell me how to access news groups on AT&T. Iseem to get all kinds of info but all meningless to me. Thanks to all for you replies. Mike

Reply to
Mikel

All *what* "above"? You didn't quote anything. How do you expect anyone to know what you're talking about.

Have you tried calling AT&T tech support?

Due to lack of quoted context, your post is pretty well meaningless to everyone else. What did you expect?

Doug Miller

Then do some homework, and learn.

Oh yeah, IE is a great move. NOT.

Same way as you access them on any other service provider. Have you talked to AT&T?

It sucks to be dumb.

No problem.

Reply to
Dan C

you will be setting up a "news" account within Outlook Express, which can be done from the IE menu Tools->Mail & news you'll be setting up the news account to connect to something like news.att.net or whatever (you'll need to get the exact name from at&t tech pages). I don't think they need a login name or anything if you are logging in on their network in the first place. I don't have time to get you through the details right now, but maybe this can get you pointed toward the right help areas. bill

Reply to
bill a

"Mikel" wrote

Follow bill's advice, it pretty much will get you set up for news. I know I had a problem setting it up, but I kept trying and finally it worked.

Open OE. Click on "Tools". Click on "Accounts". Click on the "News" tab. Click on "Add" then click "News". It will walk you through the set-up, when you come to "news server" type in netnews.worldnet.att.net . Do not check the box which says my news server requires me to log on. I think this will get the server set-up. Then you go to the left side of screen, double click on the name of att server, a screen opens up and hit the button which says "newsgroups", there you will find 30 thousand or so groups.

Good luck

Reply to
johnny

Google Groups is ruining Usenet. Although I've never used them, I figure from the folks who do that it's difficult to reply, automatic message quoting is not supported although you can do it manually, threads are bizarre tree-like charts but its obvious to GG users who is replying to whom while the rest of us are forced to guess, etc.

If Google is going to provide access to Usenet, they should at least try to emulate some of the traditional and expected features of real newsreaders.

-Frank

Reply to
Frank J Warner