Tentest walls throughout house

You are describing a name not familiar. Perhaps only called tentest in canada, describe it.

Reply to
m Ransley

i am familiar with this stuff. be very carefull with this stuff. it was more than likely installed when lead was in paints - as it was in mine so don't sand it. we wall papered over it 1x but found wall paper to be the dirtiest thing in the house - as well the pattern of the tentest showed through.in the end we drywalled right over it.

Reply to
robson

If it is what I think plaster will crack as that board flexes. You might try texture paint but it may not help much.

Reply to
m Ransley

I was wondering if anyone had experience with redoing the old tentest walls. Can they be sanded down or plastered to make them smoother looking? There's no wallpaper on them, just paint. What's that stuff made out of anyway?

Reply to
cthorne111

It's a board made out of paper fibers. Think really thick (1/2"+) cardboard, but not as dense. I've heard it called "buffalo board", too.

Reply to
Andy Hill

wood fibre walls

Reply to
sharon gardiner

this tentest was put on when the cottage was built in 1956. It was papered over but how do I remove the wallpaper without damaging the tentest?

Reply to
sharon gardiner

If there was a barrier, such as paint, and then paper you may get away with dampeming it. If not, I'd consider putting something over it rather than remove it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You don't. You remove the tentest and replace it with new wallboard.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Thank-you that is a help.

Reply to