OT: splitting PDF files

Why are there all these online sites to upload, split and download PDF files? It seems to me all that is needed is to send the relevant pages to the virtual printer as a PDF file.
On 15/05/2019 20:00, Scott wrote:

Not everyone has a virtual PDF printer. (I use doPDF 8 on Win7.)
--
Max Demian

On Wed, 15 May 2019 22:44:44 +0100, Max Demian

Foxit (which is free) allows me to print selected pages to 'Foxit reader pdf printer'. This seems to me far preferable to uploading, splitting and downloading.
On 16/05/2019 09:02, Scott wrote:

I use an old version of Foxit (2.0) as it loads much more quickly than Adobe.
--
Max Demian

On 16/05/2019 11:52, Max Demian wrote:

Everything loads much more quickly than Adobe's products.
SumatraPDF and evince on Windows here, and evince on Linux.
Scott wrote:

If you want to keep the files local, use pdfSAM (Split And Merge)
I'd say because pdf files are converted to raw bits to print, ie they are not using smarts in the printer but are converting them in the computer.
The whole original idea of Portable Document Format was to stop people tinkering with them and making incorrect versions. If it could be split that might defeat the object Depending on the level of protection though some allow conversion to word or txt format and then you can do as you like but its been my experience that if they are not tagged for reading order changes then you get a complete mess out of the end. Also a lot of online pdf files seem to be mere copies of a bitmap of a scanned in document and these are just basically pictures so trying to convert then normally makes them blank. Brian
--
----- --
I think you'll find that the original intention of the PDF was that it could be read on any OS, and was platform-independent. Adobe allowed - or perhaps I should say included - editing facilities very early on if you were willing to pay for it. The Adobe Reader was free; Adobe Acrobat (a suite of programs) was, if I remember correctly, on the expensive side.

Jeff

On 16/05/19 06:56, Brian Gaff wrote:
You can lock a pdf yo prevent editing, but I agree the format was designed to be platform independent.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
On 15/05/2019 20:00, Scott wrote:

I did that before I found PDFSAM, but found that sometimes the filesize increased enormously.
--
Reentrant

On 16/05/2019 08:38, Reentrant wrote:

Probably because the 'print to PDF' was embedding a bit map image for printing into a PDF file rather than a true PDF (ie text + fonts).
--
djc

(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)
On Wed, 15 May 2019 20:00:24 +0100, Scott

Use pdftk and split, join, reorder etc at will.
--
AnthonyL

On 15/05/2019 20:00, Scott wrote:

Without wishing to wind up unduly, you can do this natively on a Mac, using Preview. View with the 'Thumbnail' sidebar and delete the pages you don't want there.
--
Cheers, Rob

On 15/05/2019 20:00, Scott wrote:

Using YAPP (Yet Another PDF Printer will, ime, degrade the file and increase its size - just chop it up: https://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-tools/PDF/PDFill-PDF-Tools.shtml
needs some exploring but will do everything.
On Thu, 16 May 2019 15:03:45 +0100, PeterC

Thanks. Bizarrely, when I downloaded the 'source' file again the pdf print version was changed to make it the same as the new source file. This almost led me to email the pages that needed to be taken out.
I think I will be following your advice in future!