what's a good woodworking magazine to subscribe to?

I build arts & crafts furniture for our home and jigs & fixtures for my shop.

Reply to
Peter in Rosburg

Wood Magazine & Popular Woodworking

Reply to
Ace

What he said.....

Reply to
Patrick Fischer

You'll like Woodsmith and Shop Notes too.

Reply to
DexAZ

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 21:16:53 -0800, "Peter in Rosburg" Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

Shopnotes Woodsmith FWW

in that order...subscribe to shopnotes for about two years, and the stuff gets pretty repetitive...but no ads in that or woodsmith

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

I subscribed to American Woodworker for years but no longer do as it never seems to have any contents that appeal to me any more. I really like Wood magazine.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

Fine Woodworking and ShopNotes, my favorites.

Reply to
Phisherman

"Peter in Rosburg" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@scnresearch.com:

Fine Woodworking is the best of the bunch, but understand it is oriented toward technique & design, not dimensioned project plans (and, in recent times, it's been rather over weighted with finishing articles, IMO).

Wood magazine is the best of the project plan magazines, to my mind. American Woodworker has declined to the point of being pretty much useless. Woodsmith is inconsistant, some of their projects are very good, some use really weird techniques that make things much more complicated than they need to be. I used to find Popular Woodworking more oriented to beginner level projects, but I haven't looked at it for several years.

Shopnotes is pretty good for workshop techniques and jigs, and seems to me to be more consistant than Woodsmith.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

workbench, fine woodworking, wood

Reply to
Wilson

Reply to
Grandpa

John McCoy offered....

Glad I'm not the only one to notice that. Norm must be depositing his recent issues directly into the circular file. Break out the saws, boys, and leave the finishing work for the womenfolk. (now doning flame retardent suit)

Seriously, as others have said, I've really been impressed to the improvements to Wood magazine over the last few years. The seem to beat all in variety and content.

Joe

Reply to
BIG JOE

For methods & techniques, I like Fine Woodworking, and several of the others mentioned.

For INSPIRATION, you may want to find a couple of copies of American Bungalow and see what they show as finished product. You're on your own as to how to build them, however. But after reading & experimenting, you'll likely find a way to build things that you enjoy.

And for setting the bar a little higher in your craftsmanship, I always enjoy Woodwork magazine. Yes, they have more sculptural and turning stuff than many of the others, but my imagination is always tickled. The feature craftsperson article also seems to put a very human face on the folks at the forefront of our hobby/craft/profession.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

I really don't know, I buy them all :)

FWW is really the flagship when it comes to inspiration. But for me it's a little like looking at a Cadillac brochure when all you can afford is a Chevy.

I havent seen more than one other person mentioning Woodworking. It is one of my favorites. More artsy than any of the other, but they show some fantastic work, and run some darn good articles from time to time. The very latest issue has a long article about a guy who had really made it, and who decided to just quit and become a nurse. An eye opener to say the least. But like FWW it is an inspiration magazine.

For projects and plans, Shop Notes, Woodsmith and Wood are pretty good.

Of course, YMMV.

Reply to
NetWorker

I thought I subscribed to them all too until last week when I went into a magazine store. I get ShopNotes, Woodsmith, Fine Woodworking, Wood, American Woodworker, and I think one more. However, there were about 6 others at the magazine store that I didn't know about including Woodwork. I'd probably be more skilled if I spent as much time doing woodworking as I do reading about it...

Reply to
Larry C

The ones you like after you have bought a copy and read it.

Reply to
Mike G

I like Popular Woodworking. Shope Notes is a close second and FWW is third. I've never read Wood magazine before but I hear that is really good too.

Reply to
Basspro*