"Woodworking" Magazine goes Subscription

"Woodworking", the no-ad, newsstand only, no-BS, very well written magazine, by some of the Popular Woodworking editors has gone subscription! This has become my favorite magazine, when I can actually find it.

$20 gets 4 issues.

More here:

** No connection other than a satisfied reader **

**
**

I found the free issue here:

stuff!

John

Reply to
John Horner

ads". It's going to have to be an exceptional magazine if it's going to survive without advertising of some sort.

Reply to
Upscale

Consumer Reports and Practical Sailor are a couple of rags that survive without paid advertising.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Don't know about the latter, the former is essentially useless imo--at least they and I almost never agree in their assessments... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

I love it, so I thought I'd share it.

Chris Schwartz, and the staff has a real "no BS", real world, attitude that's worth a look.

It's "Popular Woodworking" on steroids.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

Try the free issue.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

Shopnotes and Woodsmith really don't have much advertising. I like Woodworking magazine and will probably subscribe to it.

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

I did. It's fine, but that's not the point. Most new magazines come out with interesting stuff. It's maintaining that level of quality and getting in enough cash flow to keep the magazine going that will determine it's longevity.

Reply to
Upscale

I agree. "Woodworking" has been around since 2004.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

No, it's going to be an EXPENSIVE magazine. They have to make their money somewhere and if it doesn't come from advertisers, it's going to come from consumers.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

That's not much longevity, sorry. Further, if they're going to give a "free" issue, why give one from 2004, not one from 2007?

Reply to
Brian Henderson

Not going to be, "IS" 4 issues for $20 is pretty high. Having said that most all the WW magazines I subscribe to are pretty expensive. You generally get what you pay for.

Reply to
Leon

Has anyone seen the cover price of most magazines?

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

I've purchased three already and I don't consider them over priced. The cover price on Woodworking is the same as the popular magazines that are mostly advertising.

Woodsmith has been around for a long time and they don't have advertisers.

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

Depends on what you compare it to. Many mags are cheaper, some even down to about $1/issue on eBay or with multi-year specials. And they may be worth it at that price. However, per-issue, Woodworking comes out about the same as Fine Woodworking, right? IMO, Woodworking is a far nicer publication (especially compared to recent FWWs), and the lack of ads is a nice bonus. I have all 8 issues published so far, and would happily give away the rest of my WW mag collection (and many of my WW books) before I gave up these 8 issues. I subscribed as soon as I got the email. Andy

Reply to
Andy

Content has nothing to do with ads and honestly, I'd much rather see the ads because I often find out about new products that way. No ads isn't a selling point for me at all.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

I have to agree with that up to a point too. I think that after I reached a certain knowledge level, I became increasingly interested in new products that come out on the market. I do admit to being a Normite much more than a Neander so I'm sure that accounts for a good part of what I'm interested in seeing.

The two latest additions to woodworking that have really caught my interest is Festool's Domino and the line of lowered woodworking machinery that General Tools is in the process of manufacturing. Those who know me will know why the General Tools machinery has my attention.

Reply to
Upscale

Here too. I no longer attend shows to see the latest, so I appreciate the ads. Anything over $5 for a magazine is overpriced.

Reply to
Phisherman

"Leon" wrote in news:H8xij.87746$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr29.news.prodigy.net:

That's $5/issue. Not horrible. Compare this to other magazines (there's one dedicated to Linux I'm thinking of) that want almost $10 an issue. It is, however, ultimately up to you whether or not it's worth the money. You may enjoy $5 worth of screws more this month. *shrug*

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper