What's good to fumigate a basement?

I've had spider crickets all summer and still even now there are a few of them in my basement (which is 33x70'x9' high). They are ugly little f****rs!

There are windows I can open, what's a good way to fumigate the place?

Thanks!

Dean

Reply to
dean

Well I did this but be carefull as it can kill you , get a gopher bomb,Giant Destroyer, sodium nitrate. Put it in a metal bucket and put that bucket in a metal bucket of water. Light bomb and leave for 6 hrs or more, when you come back open all windows quick, if you smell anything leave and come back later. nothing will be alive even termites in the floors. you say 9ft ceilings, ok because they burn hot like flares

Reply to
m Ransley

I'd rather put my ball in the jaws of a rabid doberman than do that to my house....

Reply to
dean

I'd rather put my &@!!$ in the jaws of a rabid doberman than do that to my house....

Reply to
dean

I think it would depend on if you have pets, small children, and if you can be away from the house for awhile, then air it out before returning.

I will spray outside and will do so only because I don't have pets/small children. But I don't like to spray indoors. For indoors, I will use a fly swatter, or if I have to, use what you can buy in the grocery store (Raid), then I will spray and close off the room or leave the house.

Might want to get a pro if not sure. If do-it-yourself, read the labels.

Reply to
Bill

P.S. Small children live on the floor/ground and put *everything* in their mouth!

Reply to
Bill

In article , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says... :) I've had spider crickets all summer and still even now there are a few :) of them in my basement (which is 33x70'x9' high). They are ugly little :) f****rs! :) Assuming you mean camel crickets...any basic fogger will do what you are wanting to do, but they only area contact kill and the crickets are probably coming into the basement from the crawl space area. With the fogger, there will be no residual for any future invasions.(I.E. the next day). If you use a fogger don't over do it, one fogger will treat

6000 cu feet or more. You might follow up with any general insecticide that has a residual. As they crawl around they usually will follow a baseboard, so treating well in the corners should help. I can't recall if cricket baits work well on camel crickets or not, but air circulation will help. They are breeding under the crawl space of the home, then finding their way to the basement, so treating with bait and the air circulation needs to be in the crawl area.
Reply to
Lar

Its in the basement, my kid is not allowed in there. And they are spider crickets, not camel crickets, they are ugly little f****rs, they give me the creeps (and generally nothing really gives me the creeps!)

-Dean

Reply to
dean

I would rather chance it with the bugs.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I suggest you call your local county extension office and see what they recommend. It seems these critters are a common problem and there doesn't seem to be much available to control them other than professional controls, and they seem to require more than one visit.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Elimate the humidity and their numbers will drop to zero. No poisons or chemicals needed. In the short term, lay out strips of tape.

-rev

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

I doubt if you could ever get zero. In most parts of the world there is enough in the air to measure almost anytime and that little fact is often used by scam fungus removers to scare people into buying their services.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Correction: _Reduce_ the humidity and their numbers will drop to zero. I lowered my basement to ~55% relative humidity and all my pet camel crickets disappeared.

Zero humidity would be impossible to achieve or tolerate.

-rev

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

If you have a cat, let it into the basement. If you don't have a cat, get one. I used to live in a basement apartment that had crickets, and the only way I got rid of them was when I took in a stray cat that was used to eating them. Now that I have a house I sometimes even heard crickets inside for the cats amusement.

Reply to
scott21230