Loud bang to pipes when clothes washer stops filling

Hi:

I have a Maytag Neptune clothes washer, MAH4000AWW that slams / hammers the water supply lines when it completes the fill portion of a cycle. I am wondering if the water valve (p/n: 22002795) is going bad ? Other then the noise the machine fills OK. Thanks

Peter

Reply to
pakapinos

You didn't say whether this is a new condition (previously quiet) or not.

But, when I had the same problem I solved it with a couple of "Mini Arrestor" devices made specifically for washing machine use, like the ones part way down this page:

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

If it just started doing this, it could be that your have anti-hammer devices installed and one or more has filled with water. The fix for that is to turn off the water and open the lowest faucet in the house to drain the pipes. Once drained, turn the water back on slowly to allow the pipes to fill, keep all the valves open until water is running out of them. That may fix it. Newer devices don't need this help.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Buy a couple of water hammer arrestors. They screw on to the valves and you don't need to break into the wall. Water hammer can eventually damage pipes. Don't use the arrestors that are filled with air, they fail after a short time.

Go to

and look up mini-arrestors under water hammer arrestors. They make on especially for washing machines. Ron

Reply to
R & S

When the washer was new I don't remember it being as bad as it is now. I installed the hammer arrestors to the hot and cold lines behind the washer. They did nothing to solve the problem.

Peter

Reply to
pakapinos

Maybe your pressure reducing valve has failed so you have a higher line pressure than before? Or, the water utility has reworked a district supply pump and raised system pressure?

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I've been listening to when the supply lines get hammered and it comes at the end of the drain cycle, not at the end of the fill cycle. Sounds more like the timer than the water valve.

Peter

Reply to
pakapinos