sprinkler nozzles not interchangable?

After 5 trips to HD, Lowes, and Ace hardware, I finally replaced some of the broken sprinkler nozzles. I noticed that Toro, Rain Bird, and Orbit nozzles are not interchangable. My question is which nozzles are interchangable?

Reply to
Mikepier

My guess is that none of the nozzles are interchangeable, but since a whole new sprinker "head" costs only a few dollars, why worry? Our yard has a mixture of Rain Bird, Toro and Orbit, and as they get chewed up by the mower (when it is being operated by others) I replace them by Rain Bird.

Perce

On 06/13/05 10:16 am Mikepier tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

None that I know of unless they are sold under another name. Be sure to buy more parts than you need. It seems to me that the sprinkler folks change their products like car manufactures.

Reply to
SQLit

Just buy the cheapest sprinkler, they all work the same -- money is the only thing that's really 'interchangeable', so don't worry about spend an extra dime for keeping "manufacturer's brand name". You'll never see it under the ground anyway.

BTW the pvc pipe thread sizes are about the only thing that's universal (I assume you're using standard 1/2 inch. pvc pipe to carry the pressure from the souce to the sprinklers), so after you dig up the whole sprinkler unit and go to the hardware store, you might want to get some grass plugs or small sod pieces to cover your tracks in the lawn.

Reply to
Nathan Gant

I have a slightly different POV.

I've been using Toro 570 series heads for over 25 years, I just replaced on with a cracked body last week.

They did change the sprinkler body & screw-on cap but the internal filters & spray nozzles are still interchangeable with the old heads.

I buy Toro 3" bodies w/o nozzles & keep a handle full of different nozzles on hand. When an old sprinkler needs repair, I replace the nozzle or entire unit as needed.

Keeping to a single mfr makes rmaintenance simple & easy.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

I agree keeping to a single mfr makes things easier, but I just bought the house last year, so I'm just trying to sort things out now. But the nozzles are very cheap. It was the inconvenience od going store to store to get the right nozzles. I also have a 2" brass pop up sprinkler ( forgot the mfr) that has a totally different nozzle. It has a threaded screw in the center which screws into the pop- up assembly. But its leaking all over the place, so I'll replace that soon.

Reply to
Mikepier

I have fairly old rainbird popups and when I was adding a zone, I noticed they now have variable arc nozzles, where my old ones were fixed. Since I wanted to adjust the pattern of some popups, I bought the new nozzles, and just installed them in place of the old.

I'm pretty sure the fittings on the underground pipes are not all half-inch. I was at the rainbird site contemplating getting some new rotors and noted there were varying sizes and locations. When I'm working on my system, I take the old part out and carry it to the supply house so I can check how the new ones compare.

I th> After 5 trips to HD, Lowes, and Ace hardware, I finally replaced some

Reply to
William Brown

OP-

the brass ones are probably Champion, a good mfr.

I suggest you just slowly switch over the to the Toro 570 series, you'll be glad you did.

Every time you take a different mfr unit out of service, you'll build your repair stock.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207