Apple ipads (again)

We, apparently, need an ipad. Not sure why, but I'm told we do. Given the threads discussed here in the past, I can see what they're good for, but what size HD? The basic model is 16GB which is tiny compared to modern PC sizes. Having said that, does an ipad need a large HD? The size options seem to be 16, 32 and 64GB. The antique desktop I'm typing this on has 228GB.
--
Graeme

On 17/10/2012 21:34, News wrote:

What do you want to use it for?
16 GB is plenty for my use. But might be very much less than you need. Always remember the cloud - whether that is iCloud, Dropbox, or whatever else.
You do know they are launching new 7-inch models on 23rd October? Possibly to be available from November 2nd.
And there are some very nice other tablets these days. Partner is rather taken by the Samsung Note 10.1 with its very clever stylus.
And the other big question - 3G or not 3G!
--
Rod

On Wednesday, October 17, 2012 9:43:26 PM UTC+1, polygonum wrote:

iPads can do 4G .
Worth getting the 3G/4G version as then you can use mapping features and turn by turn. But if it's just for home use then probbaly not worth the extra.

On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 05:42:41 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave wrote:

In this country? And I don't mean because 4G isn't quite available yet. I was under the impression that the 4G standard that iPads have is the US 4G standard not the European (or rest of the world) 4G standard. Didn't they have to pull their advertising and get their wrists slapped about this recently?
--
Cheers
Dave.

On Friday, October 19, 2012 4:28:04 PM UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:

I'm not sure about that.
Didn't

I thought that related to the speed they showed and missing out stages in the process. If teh UK don;t adopt the US standard is that Apples fault.
Whichy devices wiork with the UK 4G, I saw them testing it with a macbook think it was the gadget show.
"It's significant that Apple has adopted LTE because LTE has arguably become the favourite in the race to standardise a 4G system"
As long as we don;t have to drive on the wrong side of the road to use it.

whisky-dave wrote:

At the time the iPad "3" was introduced with 4G, it supported 700MHz and 2100MHz, at that point EE hadn't announced their 1800MHz LTE and the auction for 800MHz and 2600MHz won't be happening for a few months yet, so they'll have to introduce a new model to support LTE in the UK.
On Fri, 19 Oct 2012 19:16:22 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Such a minor technicality(!) didn't stop them advertising it as 4G though. If they can do that what else is wrong in their advertising?
--
Cheers
Dave.

Save your cash, you don't NEED an iPad, as the purchase price is just the start. Once the Apple lock-in begins, you will start hemorrhaging money on content, and the more you buy, the more you are locked in.
If you really NEED a tablet, as far better media consumption device would be something like this:
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5088917.htm
(although holding out a few days, the 32GB model will be 199, and the 16GB 159.), no lock in, you can put whatever content you wish on there, without needing to clear it thru Apple first.
--

Using Opera's mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail /

The display on the iPad is its real selling point though, I have the nice Asus pad and an iPad and the Android one spends most of it's time in the cupboard because the iPad is just so pleasant to use.

Whats so special about the display, that it's got some bullshit "Retina" branding? It's just a IPS panel with a specific pixel density (264 Pixels/Inch to be exact) that many other tablets have already exceeded (for example the Samsung Galaxy Note II)
The Nexus7 is only a little behind the ipad3 pixel density (at 216 PPI), and my Xperia S smartphone (342 PPI) far exceeds it and the iPhone5's (PPI326)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_displays_by_pixel_density#Apple
So take away the bullshit Apple branding and look at the raw pixel densities, and yes the Apple products are OK, but there are several that are better, and the Nexus7 costing half the price and being far more functional is a total steal.
--
Using Opera's mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail /

MaRKg123 wrote:

HTC have a 5" 1920x1080 display that's 440dpi
http://www.itproportal.com/2012/10/17/htc-j-butterfly-launched-with-worlds-first-5in-full-hd-screen-display /
On 17/10/2012 23:47, MaRKg123 wrote:

And does it have a resolution of 2048x1536? Ppi is only one factor, the more important factor to me is the actual resolution which in the case of the iPad allows for better font smoothing and a better web experience with a bit less scrolling. A big part of my usage of the iPad is web browsing and the display of web pages is just so much better that any of the Android tablets I've tried. I'm not even going to get into the debate about how poor the Android browser is (though Chrome is a little better) or even worse Firefox mobile - even on my quad-core Galaxy S3 the browser is so slow it's painful compared to Safari on the iPad on the same wifi connection.
On paper most of the specs of my Android pad are better than the ipad, faster CPU, faster GPU and more memory, it's the OS that's letting it down and that doesn't look to be improving that much either - I have "Jelly Bean" on my pad and it doesn't improve the things I want it to improve. Yes there are major advantages in Android over Ios/Apple, but it depends what you want to do with your device and and the moment the those advantages are being outweighed by the Apple device simply doing what I need it to do, better.
Lee
On 18/10/2012 13:02, Lee wrote:

Better qualify that before someone jumps on it, iPad reports browsing resolution at 768*1024 which is scaled up to fit the display allowing for various trickery to make the image look smooth. I find I almost never have to zoom the display to read anything. Unless it's stupidly tiny text. My Phone reports 720*1280 when browsing, but at that resolution you can't clearly see small text on the screen without zooming, unless your eyes are much better than mine ;) which results in more scrolling. Similar on the Android pad, although it's a bigger screen the text isn't as clear as the iPad and I find I need to zoom some pages, though obviously not as much as the phone.
Again this is about me, although I don't need reading glasses others may have better vision and may find the other devices more readable than me without needing to zoom as much.

The Nexus 7 has Chrome as standard.
Although Ansus make the Nexus 7, its own brand tablet is a poorer product than the Nexus 7.

The Nexus 7 has upped the yardstick.
MaRKg123 wrote:

Don't you mean 8GB and 16GB? I thought there was no 32GB Nexus 7.
Doctor Drivel wrote:

There have been srumors surrounding the launch of a 32GB Nexus 7 tablet. The latest rumor surrounding the tablet is that the 32GB model would be in the Argos Christmas Gift Guide which was being released this week. Argos have released the guide and there is indeed a 32GB Nexus 7 tablet there. Unfortunately none of the stores currently have it in stock and there is no indication of when it may be in stock.
However, the 32GB Nexus tablet is likely to go on sale from October 24th, at which point Argos should also have this in stock. The guide gives the 32GB Nexus 7 tablet a catalogue number of 508/9325 but, as of yet it is not available on the website. It replaces the 16GB tablet's pricing and when it is available to buy, it will retail for 199.99.
I'm not sure why anyone would want an Ipad. no flash so how can it be used to stream anything? its also overpriced compared to other models from what I can see.
Brian

Really? Mine plays live TV, iPlayer etc. but of course there are some videos it won't play.

That's probably true but they are nice toys.
Tim
In message <772994263372233758.826651timdownie2003-nospampleaseyahoo.co.uk@reader80.
writes

Thanks for all the comments. I think Tim has summarised perfectly. Wifey and son have decided 'we' need a family ipad, and I seriously doubt that Samsung or anything else will be an acceptable substitute.
Yes, I agree, it is all about marketing. An Apple ipad is the device to have, apparently. There comes a point where disagreeing with the family is beyond me - life is too short.
--
Graeme

News wrote:

Make sure the same rule is applied when she wants you to have a Mondeo but you want an XK ...