Apple ipads (again)

We, apparently, need an ipad. Not sure why, but I'm told we do. Given the threads discussed here in the past, I can see what they're good for, but what size HD? The basic model is 16GB which is tiny compared to modern PC sizes. Having said that, does an ipad need a large HD? The size options seem to be 16, 32 and 64GB. The antique desktop I'm typing this on has 228GB.

Reply to
News

What do you want to use it for?

16 GB is plenty for my use. But might be very much less than you need. Always remember the cloud - whether that is iCloud, Dropbox, or whatever else.

You do know they are launching new 7-inch models on 23rd October? Possibly to be available from November 2nd.

And there are some very nice other tablets these days. Partner is rather taken by the Samsung Note 10.1 with its very clever stylus.

And the other big question - 3G or not 3G!

Reply to
polygonum

On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 21:34:05 +0100, News wro= te:

Save your cash, you don't NEED an iPad, as the purchase price is just th= e =

start. Once the Apple lock-in begins, you will start hemorrhaging money= =

on content, and the more you buy, the more you are locked in.

If you really NEED a tablet, as far better media consumption device woul= d =

be something like this:

holding out a few days, the 32GB model will be =A3199, and the= =

16GB =A3159.), no lock in, you can put whatever content you wish on ther= e, =

without needing to clear it thru Apple first.

Reply to
MaRKg123

The display on the iPad is its real selling point though, I have the nice Asus pad and an iPad and the Android one spends most of it's time in the cupboard because the iPad is just so pleasant to use.

Reply to
lee

Whats so special about the display, that it's got some bullshit "Retina" branding? It's just a IPS panel with a specific pixel density (264 Pixels/Inch to be exact) that many other tablets have already exceeded (for example the Samsung Galaxy Note II)

The Nexus7 is only a little behind the ipad3 pixel density (at 216 PPI), and my Xperia S smartphone (342 PPI) far exceeds it and the iPhone5's (PPI326)

take away the bullshit Apple branding and look at the raw pixel densities, and yes the Apple products are OK, but there are several that are better, and the Nexus7 costing half the price and being far more functional is a total steal.

Reply to
MaRKg123

HTC have a 5" 1920x1080 display that's 440dpi

Andy Burns

I'm not sure why anyone would want an Ipad. no flash so how can it be used to stream anything? its also overpriced compared to other models from what I can see.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Really? Mine plays live TV, iPlayer etc. but of course there are some videos it won't play.

That's probably true but they are nice toys.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Thanks for all the comments. I think Tim has summarised perfectly. Wifey and son have decided 'we' need a family ipad, and I seriously doubt that Samsung or anything else will be an acceptable substitute.

Yes, I agree, it is all about marketing. An Apple ipad is the device to have, apparently. There comes a point where disagreeing with the family is beyond me - life is too short.

Reply to
News

Make sure the same rule is applied when she wants you to have a Mondeo but you want an XK ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Start saving because in a couple of years time, Apple will have stopped updating your iPan, family will want "that latest must have app" and your iPad will need replacing. I admit to being a "PC/Android not Apple" person but it's the deliberate obsolescence which annoys me most - perfectly good hardware unable to do anything because Apple don't support older hardware for very long.

Paul DS.

Reply to
Paul D Smith

I bought an iPad about 6 months ago for similar reasons. (Family, kids etc!) I have used android tablets and (on the type I used at least) found them slow and clunky to use. I assume more recent ones are better in this respect.

I bought the 32GB 3G ipad as I figured the built-in mobile and GPS reciever would be useful.

6 months on the kids love it, wife uses it a lot for everything from Facebook to recipies in the kitchen to watching the F1 in bed! I use it for quick surfing and email mainly, but I have found it very useful when out-and-about with a cheap PAYG sim in it, and with navigation software such as 'NavFree'. It has made my netbook redundant. I bought a French Orange PAYG sim in the summer for 3 weeks in France, which came in handy many times.

I disagree with the comments above about having to constantly pay apple. There are very few apps I've paid for, most are free, with the occesional £2 and under one.

Reply to
AlanD

I thought the comment was more directed at "content" - tracks, video, etc. ? But that does not affect me - I don't pay for any!

Reply to
polygonum

Putting aside comsuner brainwashing, the Samsung is a better product and the cost/benefit is greater.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The problem with Android is that it's not a single product, it's a =

ecosystem. You can buy a =A359 Android tablet, or a =A3500 one, and cl= early =

the quality and performance will be worlds apart. THey will of course =

both serve the same basic function, and use the same apps, but thats it.=

What Android tablet was slow and clunky exactly, and how much did you =

pay? As clearly to make that statement a fair statement, it would have= =

had to be =A3399+ (iPad money), as anything else is comparing apples and= =

oranges.

I stand by my statement, that the Nexus7 is the best tablet on the marke= t =

today bar none. It's fantastic performance, no lag whatsoever, has a =

balanced featureset which keeps the cost and weight down. Sure it's go= t =

no 3G (but then that's what mobile tethering and wifi hotspots are for),= =

and no rear facing camera that makes you look a d*****ad when you take =

pictures with it. But it's got everything else the iPad has (GPS etc) a= nd =

more besides (NFC for example)

Reply to
MarkG

Don't have one but was amazed to find with a pal's one there is no easy way of printing from it. Apart from emailing to a proper computer. We found this out when wanting to print off a boarding pass.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have Galaxy S2. It was much cheaper and superior to the i-phone - display and ease of use is better. Android is UNIX based and stable with more apps available. The Galaxy range is still superior to the i-phone range despite the new i-phone 5. The Galaxy 4 is coming out in a matter of months and promises to totally outstrip the i-phone. Samsung are very secretive about the 4.

It is true about being locked into Apple. They are vertically integrated in hardware and software. You are their mercy.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

This stirs up the whole religious debate about Apple vs others, but the real question is what you want to do with it. Personally, I've always thought of the whole concept as an elegant solution looking for a problem, but would still rather like one (!) I know quite a few people with iPads (fewer with other variants) and I've never heard any of them complain about storage limitations. Many of the people I work with use them to take documents to meetings, create things on the go etc etc, but this doesn't really require much storage. If you're thinking it would be good to have a full set of music and movies on one, then you'll fill the space very quickly, but they are really designed to work alongside a host machine where the bulk of everything is stored. My gadget-boy son has an iPad and even he has never whinged about storage. He seems to use it more for web browsing though, with all his music on his iPhone. As previously mentioned, printing etc from an iPad can be a bit of a faff but then there are many WiFi printers around now.

Reply to
GMM

In article , AlanD writes

V useful info, thanks (currently in similar posn). Who do you use for the UK PAYG data and how much do you find you use?

Reply to
fred

Divorce them now, before it's too late. They will bleed you dry with tastes like that.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q