Apple ipads (again)

faster , what they do is reduce seek time and a little faster with access times, but the cheaper SSDs aren't that fast anyway.

yes that's mostly true although a lot of people that previously used laptops can do virtually all what they do on a tablet device.

I used to prefer a compuetr for email, but for replys and quick messges I use the ipad and dictation, it doesn't always get it right but it's on a par with my spelling ;-) I prefer watching video popcasts on the ipad but I find holding it for long persiods 10mins + difficult, so tend not to watch films on it. I find it very handy for checkign bus/train routes and times via the free apps, but I most use it as a camera. The other day I wanted to see what was on top of the warddrobe, rather than get a ladder I took a photo, now that's what technology should used be for saving effort ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

Heh, the pastries were nice for breakfast, that's a good start

Currently in a presentation where a MS guy is showing how not to use Onenote whiteboard to draw diagrams. I don't think that's the point, but it's about all I'm picking up.

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

The only time I've ever set foot in an Apple building was in the days of the DEC-Apple Alliance.

Reply to
Andy Burns

LOL. Apple laid on a really nice lunch when we were there. No freeby kit, though, even though we are potentially going to buy thousands of iGadgets and associated infrastructure. (TBH, Apple don't seem that interested in the corporate marketplace.)

I love watching people at technology companies struggle with technology, especially if they've bandied the word "intuitive" about beforehand.

Reply to
Huge

The first time I had smoked salmon was at an Apple store event in leicester square London around 1985.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Possibly because they've got the bit of corporate (i.e. the Media) that they're interested in sewn up already? Although a worrying percentage of the schools I carry have teachers that are hooked on their iPads and iPhones, as are the kids.

Reply to
John Williamson

Yep, they are used and will find more applications as time rolls. on.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You need to look harder and get this Apple crap out of your head.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You live with the living dead in Wallasey - appropriate.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Poor bastard !

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Apple had the lead and some schools went for Apple and it meshed seamlessly and the parents and kids had Apple. The ball game is now different, so some better have more open systems.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Have you seen his explanation (long) of his experience as a "UNIX guru" yet? It's rather long but reads like the sort of thing a 12 year old would knock out in an attempt to impress someone. Long random sentences that seem to have been magpied from wikipedia and some UNIX for dummies books - without a shred of understanding.

I'd place a reasonable wager that he couldn't work out how to delete the contents of /var/spool/news/in.coming/bad after an inn hiccup resulting in thousands of duplicate posts being rejected, for example.

In fact I'm reasonably sure he wouldn't be able to delete the files if there were just a slack handful.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I went for an interview with them once and turned them down,. At the time they were declining and PC were thrashing their market. Most expected the company to die. They survived by having some aesthetically appealing machines (most had horrible white computers and CRTs) and went for the end user market.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

This man is a plantpot . He has pee on his slippers.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The i-pad is only a semi-portable machine, like a laptop. Only 7" tablets are portable. So, this screen is uselss when on a desk most of the day. May as well get a real computer.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Thick person, you do not know what I am on about.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

He is a good guesser. He is.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

< snip drivel >
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

< snip drivel >
Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Thats because businesses that do proper analysis buy something else.

Reply to
dennis