Apple ipads (again)

Wow! Dennis, you got that right. The toy tinkerers go for Apple.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Well, in the Uni world, we are seeing huge numbers of apple devices. Students like them as they are trendy, and reasonably priced against the competition (FOR SIMILAR BUILD QUALITY AND BATTERY LIFE

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

So is that yuor definition of protable and semi portable teh screen size ? What about teh overall size or teh size when in use as the size of most laptops double when you use them whereas the iPads don't. if you're still confused I'm reffering to what;s called the footprint. So are you also saying that a piece of A4 paper isn;t protable or is semi-portable because it is larger than 7 inches. ~8 X ~11 ?

which screen is useless the 7 inch or the larger screens ?

A real conputer isn't a screen......

Reply to
whisky-dave

yes all those 'expensive' ipads seem to have found friends in academia . =20

yes had one come to me in the lab today saying I've empdied a can of coke o= ver my macbook pro, I said there';s little I can do other than suggest not = eating or drinking while working which is why we have notices in teh lab sa= ying no eating or drinking, luckily in my lab we only have cheap PCs probba= ly worth a few hundred at most and if that happened we'd throw the keyboard= away for teh cost of less than =A310 a shot.=20 This is a very good reason NOT to have Macs in teaching labs with students = ;-) =20 =20

Another advantage is that they need far less software and hardware support= . (apart from reminding them what their passwords are:-)

I agree, but why can;t other devices look cool, all they have to do is remo= ve the crapware then the coloured stickers, reduce the noise coming from th= e fans, get a relible OS, better battery life, easier to use software and a= nyone can compete with Apple what's the problem ;-)

There are some reasonable PC laptops I guess but there's little obvious ben= ifits to them over the Apple range I find, they are certainly a bit cheaper= , but it seems most people are willing to spend more than a weeks wage on s= uch a thing. In the late 80s early 90s I was spending a months pay packet o= n mine.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Thank god that you are unable to reproduce.

Reply to
Steve Firth

No one knows what you are on, or on about. Least of all you.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Googling letting you down today, you brainless pratt.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Bwhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhshahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

You lying dolt.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Cock, cack and s**te as ever from you. Stop trying to blag based on your reading of American webshites. Apple never dominated nor even had a toehold in the UK education market. The dominant machines in the UK were the BBC Micro and (later) the RM Nimbus.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I can see why. They didn't pay much for van drivers.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I imagine that all corporates are in the same boat we are; being driven towards supporting Apple kit because the users have shedloads of it and want to use it at work.

Reply to
Huge

Yep, they got market share by being the only decent thing (iPad in the tab space) or "cool" (macbook, particularly the air).

Other are catching up finally, but apple are in the market now.

BYOD grrrrrr

As I said in another post, HP and toshiba are getting close to matching the air finally, but still slightly lower res screen, and the HP has suddenly grown a load of fake chrome bling in the latest model. People look at it and go "urgh, it's like a macbook but looks tacky" (that's a senior manager quote - they bought an air instead)

Apple prices from the HE store (easily available to all Uni students - again, why can't other companies do that??) are pretty competitive... particularly when you take into account the fact it includes 3 years warranty.

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

This man is clearly mad

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Because they are trendy.

What world are you in? Apple are VERY expensive for what they are.

A waste of time then.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

In ye olden dayes, I was insisting to a corporate customer to go unix on the servers and desktops, GUIs had come about for them by then, instead of crap unreliable, expensive license Windows. They went for UNIX on the servers as they had little choice, but went for Windows on the desktops because they would save a fortune on training people. People would come in already knowing Windows, Word, etc, as they had them at home. They had a high turn around of staff, many temps and part timers.

Needless to say the Windows desktops were crap. We got them to have the apps run on the fast unix servers and just the windows front ends on the desktops - a thin client. We also got them not to have HDDs. The machine had boot ROM that drew in the Windows OS. This was slow but not an issue as they would switch and then get their files and have a coffee etc. Then far more reliable. And no one could steal a machine and take valuable data as nothing was stored on the desktops, only the servers with each user having their own slot on the server.

We got around the appalling Windows and added lots of value.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

They were in the market with the Macintiosh and flopped after well.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

This man is mad.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You can't see why as you are a plantpot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

That was clear in what I wrote.

< snip drivel >