Any Double Glazing Installers - Opinion please?

This maybe a bit off topic, but still kind of DIY related.

Looking at replacing ols aluminium in wood d/g with upvc, and quote so far have varied eromously.

The two lowest quotes have both quoyed using a upvc profile called Synerjy by SynSeal. Now I have not come across this profile in my research into new windows. In fact the only profile I have been recommeneded is EuroCell, but no company to date has offered me this.

So two questions, is EuroCell really the best profile, and is this Synerjy profile any good, or is it a cheap low quality profile?

Any advice greatfully received.

DeeBee

Reply to
DeeBee

The whole profile thing is a big con. It was invented by DG companies (who are almost all scum BTW) to try to differentiate their products, which are otherwise very similar to each other.

Every company has a favourite profile, which they will swear blind is the best profile in the world, and infinitely better than all the competition. In reality they are all much the same.

The main thing with DG is to find a decent, small-medium company who a) won't rip you off and b) provide a good level of customer service. Avoid the national and regional chains like the plague. Try to get a recommendation. Even better, fit the windows yourself!

Reply to
Grunff

Obviously, I don't know whereabouts in the country you are but if you're near Preston, Lancashire, try Sharbeck Windows. They're a small company (just the two guys) but they've been in the DG business since 1978. They are listed in Yellow Pages but they do not advertise - all their work comes by word-of-mouth and personal recommendation from satisfied customers.

I'd better say now that I'm a friend of theirs and have been for about 30 years, but I'm also a very satisfied customer as well as they've done my house and my mam's as well.

If you're too far away or just don't want to use them, I know they use Profile22 materials. Have a look at

Mogweed.

I agree with Mogweed, try to use a smallish company and ignore the 'hard sell' national outfits. Also Grunff is correct WRT profiles etc, there's little difference in any of them, even the cheapest, nastiest profile frames will outlive most houses....I can't understand why DG firms try to convince people with profiles anyway, it's only the fitters who care as some profiles are easier to work with than others, the end product is exactly the same.

Reply to
Phil L

Agreed. That is what I did. I used a small company in Accrington. The only mistake I made was to have external glazing.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I'm in the Preston area, but I have never heard of them. I'll look them up.

All my windows are profile 22 and I have no complaints about them

Dave

Reply to
Dave