double glazing condenstaion

Most of our doulbe glazed UPVc windows have a build up condensation on them in the mornings! (Can't see out them doh! ) I noticed some of the rubber seals round the edges are broken at cornes etc. would just getting these seals replaced fix the problem or am I going to be mucho out of pocket replacing the window panes???

Ta. Joe.

Reply to
JoeBhoy

Repairing isn't that simple.

I remember seeing an article on here years ago about a DIY fix, but didn't unfortunately save it. Anyone got a copy?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Is the condensation inside the window, or on the surface?

If inside, there is no economic repair. The sealed units must be replaced.

If outside surface, then there is nothing you can do, it's just a fact of life.

If inside surface, then it is because the humidity of the air is too high for the temperature of the glass in the morning. There are two ways to fix this, reduce the humidity or increase the temperature. Reducing humidity could be done by improving ventilation (if insufficient is provided), and by not doing certain things, like drying clothes on radiators, or using a non-condensing dryer without an outside vent. Raising the temperature requires you to turn the heating on/up.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Anyone on here managed to just replace the sealed units themselves? Can you dismantle the UPVC stuff and put a new unit in?

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

No, but I've heard plenty of people complaining about the beadings. Apparently, the modern thing is to stick the units in with sticky tape or something. One thing I do know is that sealed units are dirt cheap.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Yep - it's on the surface of the glass - so if I get new sealed units this would get rid of the problem ?

thanks for the replies guys.

Reply to
JoeBhoy

Only if it's *inside* the sealed unit. Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

Perhaps I wasn't clear.

If it is inside the house and you can wipe it off with your hand, look at ventilation and heating. If it is outside the house and you can wipe it off with your hand, tough. It's called dew. If it is inside the sealed unit and you would require a hammer to smash the glass to get at it, then the sealed unit is knackered and should be replaced.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

(:

cheers

Joe.

Reply to
JoeBhoy

Which was it by the way?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Its not too hard, but I guess it depends who made the windows.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

You need to ventilate the room to stop this condensation. Leave a window on the night vent position, fir some trickle vents or a wall vent.

dg

Reply to
dg

In message , Christian McArdle writes

Out of interest, what ballpark figure of dirt cheap ?

say for a 4 foot square sealed unit?

Reply to
raden

In message , Christian McArdle writes

There is a burglar going round here at the moment removing external beading removing the glass unit and getting in, I guess they like them :-)

Yep, it's top make the above harder, without breaking the glass as well.

I've replaced them in wood windows, in UPVC it should be ok.

Reply to
chris French

For a 24mm, K glass, unit I would have to pay about £20 + VAT.

HTH

Alex

Reply to
Alex (YMG)

In message , "Alex (YMG)" writes

Wow, that's a lot cheaper than I would ever have expected

Where does one go to get such prices?

Reply to
raden

It sure is. I was quoted nearer £60 for something around that size the other day.

Reply to
G&M

When I was buying windows (& parts of windows) for my house I telephoned a number of local glaziers, and a number of local firms claiming to supply to the trade. All of them were saying it would be weeks to get anything, and at prices that seemed very high to me (similar to the £60 quoted). Luckily, I needed some specific parts for the bay window, and had to call the profile manufacturer - whilst I was doing it, I got the details of who they distribute through.

Some of the big profile manufacturers in this country are Rehau, Eurocell, Plastmo etc. (all searchable on the internet). If you call up their head office, and ask for a list of their actual fabricators near to you (my nearest was 25 miles away in London) they will usually provide this after a polite request or two.

There are the lots of 'window factories' as they seem to be known - but I've found these, whilst much cheaper than many places, can't compete with the true large scale fabricators. In my limited experience, you can usually judge if a place is a true builder's joint by the length of time they quote you. When I telephoned this particular place, they apologised profusely that the windows wouldn't be ready for a whole 4 days, but that if I just wanted some sealed units they could have them the next morning (or same day if I went at closing time).

I must admit it is one of the most horrible places I have been to - but the quality is good, they smile, and they're dirt cheap. I did take the time to educate myself, via builder friends and the internet, as to exactly how things are constructed, and what the proper of all the little bits are.

Maybe I just got lucky with this place (located in south London if that's of any relevance) but I was certainly pleased. I now have an account there (not trade specific) which seems to guarantee another 25% off. Maybe next time I go, they'll pay me instead!

Alex (sorry for the long post)

Reply to
Alex (YMG)

In message , "Alex (YMG)" writes

No problems, good info

Can you post the company on or offlist ?

Reply to
raden