Another thing about electric cars

OTOH its those parts that flush when you are too hot....anyway it's not heated seats OR Cabin heat, it's an adjunct.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I believe that they do.

Reply to
Bob Eager

My freelanders had it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The reason is:

a) someone has to pay for them to be installed (usually well in advance of the critical mass of them being needed)

b) they clutter up the street

there are three of them at the end of my street

The online apps suggest that they get used about 25% of the time (usually during the day when people park for an hour or two to go shopping)

I suspect that no-one in the street (or the 4 surrounding streets that these chargers serve) has bought a plug-in expecting to charge up there overnight as, on a long term basis, 3 chargers is an insufficient number for the 200 households that surround them

tim

Reply to
tim...

Someone had to pay for petrol stations too.

That never stopped the councils with parking meters and so on.

Round here they are not situated outside a house. They are on a side street down the side of the garden wall. If, however, there are as many electric cars as petrol etc as at present, things will have to change.

As a percentage of the cost of a new EV, I doubt they are that expensive - especially when they are made by the million.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

So does mine and the two Disco II's before that. There is some link somewhere between Ford and Land Rover though. Fitted a decent light in the roof lining for the rear loadspace in the Freelander. The lamp unit, identical to the lamp unit in the rear passenger compartment of the FL, is Ford and from the Galaxy people carrier.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

what is going to cost money is installing the infrastructure needed to power them.

Reply to
charles

If the controls are also set to blow air at the windscreen the AC may be automatically switched on to dry the incoming air.

Reply to
alan_m

I disagree. They should have planned a re-charge before their battery was too depleted, even if this meant stopping on the way up. I regularly do a trip which exceeds my battery capacity. I have located a charge point 75%of the journey on the out leg. At my destination I again have access to a choice of charge points which means if my first choice on the way up isn't available I can still manage the first leg of my journey. If all these choices are unavailable I can head for a near big city where there are multiple choices. I've only ever once had a non functioning charge station. I did have to wait a short while on one other occasion when the fast charge point was occupied but I didn't have to wait too long and anyway could have started with an available slow charger if necessary. Max charge time on a fast charge is generally 45minutes after which a penalty kicks in so people do not tend to hog the charge point. 30 minutes fast charge gives me in excess of 100 miles. All it takes is a little planning not unlike making a journey in a small plane where you're going to masked bloody sure you have sufficient fuel AND a contingency plan

Reply to
fred

Didn't the Swedes (where this idea came from) prove that they reduced accidents in the early morning ?

Reply to
Andrew

I found it really useful on a 1990 Escort. The heating wires were rather distracting in the fog, though, as you focussed on them rather than the road ahead.

Reply to
Max Demian

Maybe travel rugs will come back.

Reply to
Max Demian

In this family, they've never gone away.

Reply to
charles

Jaguars too but there were owned by Ford at some point. Maybe Landrover too?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Without a doubt the charging network isn?t ?up to speed? yet and it?s gonna take some time. For many folk though, the vast majority of charging will be done at home so the quality of the charging network isn?t a major issue. For these for (like myself) an EV makes an enormous amount of sense.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Yes ford owned jag and landrover before selling both to tata, who eventually merged them both to form JLR.

Volvo were also owned by ford (but not for long)

Reply to
Andy Burns

If my feet are cold I put a jumper on. Once my trunk is hot my feet are OK.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

When it's really bad out there I put an electric fan fire in the van and leave it running for ten minutes. That works perfectly.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Nor having to endure a half hour wait being ripped off for coffee or food in motorway services whilst waiting for charge.

Reply to
alan_m

Good grief, what a palaver! My equivalent is: drive until the fuel gauge reads about half way, start looking for a filling station, fill up.

Planning it like an aeroplane journey indeed! What a load of arse!

Bill

Reply to
williamwright