Another thing about electric cars

I've got two of these and they work fine. They draw about 1A but cycle on and off depending on the thermostat setting. The don't half make a lot of heat.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

I don't think the greenies will encourage that. They don't really like ordinary working class people having cars anyway; they think the proles should all be on public transport, and they have no instinctive regard for individual freedom because they are basically communistic.

I don't see any political push from any direction for on-street parking facilities in poorer areas.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Anything diesel can use red diesel. Some engines are designed to run on paraffin.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

But if people like you can, and mainly do, charge at home, that won't incentivise the charging networks to expand, so people who can't charge at homes won't buy EVs.

Reply to
Andy Burns

But people don't have to park in front of petrol pumps for extended periods of time so the petrol stations don't also need to be car parks.

Perhaps this can be an earner in towns for cash strapped councils. Only allow charging stations to be installed in council run car parks where "normal" parking charges apply.

How is Elfin Safety going to cope with charging points on roads with trip hazards from flying charging leads and with the insulation that may not be up to scratch after a period of misuse?

Reply to
alan_m

I'll settle for one with a radio that cannot play Vanessa Feltz broadcasts.

Reply to
ARW

Ford also owned Mazda for a time

Reply to
charles

There's no difference between 'red diesel' and 'diesel' except the addition of a bit of dye.

Paraffin is a different beast.

Old/basic/simple diesel engines will run on almost anything, that's one of their advantages, but modern diesel car engines are somewhat fussier.

Reply to
Chris Green

Who's she?

Reply to
Tim Streater

A clueless ugly fat bird with opinions.

Reply to
mm0fmf

When I first heard about heated steering wheels I thought "what toss". Then I had a diesel hire car in Germany one October when it was cold in the mornings. That car had stupid touchscreens so you couldn't wear gloves. With the heated steering wheel your hands and fingers are nice and warm even in the cold car and you can work the touchscreens.

I've got a heated wheel on my current car and it is just brilliant. Heated seats are a bit keen though unlike my last car. There's only three heat settings, quite warm, bloody hell that's hot and f*ck me my arse is on fire. Although they do seem to run cooler after 10mins.

Reply to
mm0fmf

williamwright laid this down on his screen :

Correct. If the core of your body is cool, then circulation to the extremities is reduced, in favour of the core and brain. Keep the core warm enough and your extremities will also be warm enough too.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

on 29/11/2020, Dave Liquorice supposed :

Manufactures collect ready made parts from a number of suppliers, so it is common to find identical parts on several different models and ar manufacturer's vehicles. Some suspension items from a Galaxy are common to my Rover and much cheaper if purchased for the Ford.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

I leave my climate on year round.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Leather is the worst in cold weather, but the more expensive option.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

fred laid this down on his screen :

As I read it, that is what they did.

So you set off with a plan A, B and C, where C involves extra miles out of your way. It seems a bit extreme to me, that I would need so many backup plans for every longer trip I decided to make. Seems more like a campaign, than a simple trip.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Tim+ formulated on Sunday :

I suspect it will never be adequate, because of the infrastructure needed to support it.

Yes, I can see the point where a driver does a shorter range regular trip most all of the time and can charge at home.

I am the opposite, now retired - I never use the car for short journeys, I either walk or use public transport. My car is only used for much longer trips. When I was working, I drove many miles per day, no regular routes, no chance to work out where I could recharge if I were to run out of juice and no certainty of even getting home the same day. Often setting off, I would be redirected at least once on route to my planned destination.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

mm0fmf was thinking very hard :

I have not worn gloves in the driving seat since the 60's :-)

My car only has heated seats on or off, they are thermostatically controlled and switch off after several minutes of use, by which time my bum and back are toasty.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

williamwright wrote on 29/11/2020 :

Mine chucks out a little over 5Kw. It gets my system up to temperature in 20 minutes from below freezing whilst still parked in my garage, at the cost of a few ml of diesel.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Dave Plowman (News) explained :

No reason at all, apart from the power infrastructure needed to power them, like cables, distribution networks, sub-stations and power generation. Well'll be fine.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.