Subject Author Posted Replies

[OT] Grenfell Tower - Officials
Like most of the country, I have been following the news, and watching in amazement and exasperation as Theresa follows fuck up with fuck up, whilst Jeremy seemingly enhances his reputation and...
116
116

Grenfell Tower - Celotex
A nearby wooden bungalow was refurbished and the insulation improved with Celotex a few years ago. I wonder if the occupants know that was the stuff on the outside of Grenfell tower that burns at high...
269
269

OT: False news and real news - Nuclear power.
False News: "New cracks found in Tihange 2 Belgian nuclear power plant" Real news: "Since we have been able to find scientific explanations for all these newly reported hydrogen flakes, or they have...
2
2

Repairing a cracked plastic bath?
We have a bath which was here when we bought the house 15 years ago, and, given the colour (avocado), is probably at least twice that age. It cracked, right across the middle, with me standing in it,...
18
18

[Power] Nuclear waste dosposal - how to do it right (and get the public onside)
"The repository, called Onkalo and estimated to cost about 3.5 billion euros (currently about $3.9 billion) over the century or so that it will take to fill it, will be the world's first permanent...
4
4

Only sightly OT: Towing a car
I'm not doubting you, just scratching my head as to how you could use what you describe once you've hired it. Do you have a truck or similar to which to bolt it? FWLIW I have known people hire a tow...
11
11

Good news, bad news
Good news! Panasonic PVR has died. I'll post the video of me burning it in due course. Bad news! I have to choose a new one. Recommendations? Nothing by Panasonic or Samsung, please. The Humax stuff...
58
58

in?
when did they change inflammable into flammable ?
18
18

Bosch Athlet problem
Machine suddenly started making an unpleasant noise. Brush removed and cleaned, but no improvement. I removed the brush 'head' (as you would to fit the hose), and switched it on and the noise had...
16
16

Anyone identify the type of rot from picture?
Wife noticed a dip at one end of the roof of an old outhouse where she does some community work. I climbed up in the loft for a look.- after carrying out a risk assesment and with suitable PPE. Found...
8
8

CPC label
Received the usual CPC box via UPS - 75% filled with screwed-up brown paper - but with this warning label (A4 size) on outside of box:- The bits needing all this care? - a pack of 5 watch batteries...
13
13

Paintbrushes
Hi all, Looking to do a bit of dinghy (oil-based) varnishing and wondered where we were re natural V synthetic bristles these days? I understand for varnishing you need a softer bristle, the better...
10
10

Good deed done for the day
Followed him for two minutes. He did close it after I shouted http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/b/b9/Closed.jpg
11
11

[Power] Drax considers converting reemainig plant to gas instead of biomass
"UK's biggest power producer Drax is considering the conversion of its remaining coal-fired power units to gas, instead of biomass power, as originally planned" "Management believe a gas-fired power...
10
10

A bit of speaker updating
In case you need a tidy technique for enlarging a cut-out in timber, this seemed to work rather well: RTL3 Speaker repair - DIYWiki
20
20