CPC label

Received the usual CPC box via UPS - 75% filled with screwed-up brown paper - but with this warning label (A4 size) on outside of box:-

The bits needing all this care? - a pack of 5 watch batteries (CR1220).

Reply to
Geo

LIthium batteries can and do explode. I think you should focus more on the message than the presentation.

Reply to
Scott

Yebbut - I carry two in my pockets (car key fobs) and one on my wrist (watch) - do I need a label?

Reply to
Geo

Not if you have read and understood the original instructions.

Reply to
Scott

The parcel has to be a minimum size for UPS, I believe.

And the Post Office won't carry those batteries.

(I put a lithium battery in my CPC order when I want to force the delivery onto UPS)

Reply to
Bob Eager

One would hope they are well protected.

Reply to
dennis

Lithium primary cells containing actual lithium nonetheless. I imagine CPC will want to comply if it's a single cell or a consignment of

10,000
Reply to
Graham.

What did it say? Do not swallow? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Now if they do this a lot should we not find loads of watches blown apart or people with burned wrists? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

They will if you buy them on ebay :-)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Bit like saying 'bottled water containing actual hydrogen nonetheless'.

Obviously the cells do not contain lithium in metallic form.

The flammability of lithium ion cells has nothing to do with lithium metal per se, by the way, its to do with the organic solvents in the the electrolyte.

I imagine

Its juts te normal stupid bureaucratic kneejerk reaction.

Like the way paediatricians get fire bombed. For having the wrong sequence of letters in their titles.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

This isn't about lithium ion cells. The linked JPEG says "Lithium METAL batteries".

Reply to
Max Demian

It said do not continue with the shipment if the packaging is damaged until the contents were verified as undamaged. Put the package in a fire safe area. Repackage safely, etc.

Perfectly reasonable for an item that can start a fire if damaged.

Bigclive showed some nimh batteries that would spontaneously combust if the contents leaked somehow, like being crushed.

Reply to
dennis

You can't expect TNP to know the difference between primary and secondary cells. Anyway isn't li-ion cells more a problem due to them being shipped charged and so liable to start a fire if shorted?

Reply to
dennis