[Power] Nuclear waste dosposal - how to do it right (and get the public onside)

"The repository, called Onkalo and estimated to cost about 3.5 billion euros (currently about $3.9 billion) over the century or so that it will take to fill it, will be the world's first permanent disposal site for commercial reactor fuel. With the support of the local municipality and the national government, the project has progressed relatively smoothly for years"

"'Very soon we learned that we had to be very open,' Aikas added. 'This openness and transparency creates trust.' When five sites were selected for further study in 1987, offices were opened in each community to provide information"

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

A good example of how to do it properly. They have the right geology and the right attitude. 3.5 billion euros over a century is small change compared to the value of the electricity that will be generated in that time by nuclear power stations. It's also a small fraction of the cost of building those power stations.

If the Finns wanted to, they could have a very profitable international business disposing of the world's high-level nuclear waste. But there's currently legislation in place that forbids the import of nuclear waste into Finland from abroad, and only waste generated within Finland is permitted to be buried at Onkalo. It seems unlikely that that will change it in the near future.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Out in the Desert not far from Las Vegas lies some bloody great underground holes where bombs were tested many years ago. Maybe the USA should put their waste in those. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Strange name, almost a Womble, how apt. I Look forward to one called Uncle Bulgaria shortly. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

+1. Looking forward to seeing how their EPR performs once it is all sorted out.
Reply to
newshound