Subject Author Posted Replies

Light diffuser attachment for ceiling bulb?
I've been doing a few stretches and have been annoyed by the glare of the direct light from the hanging ceiling bulb. It's the usual mains-voltage GLS bulb. I can't get enough lght from other lamps in...
10
10

Car emission kit life span and cost of replacement.
"Diesels are taking a hit due to the gradual public realisation that the emissions reducing kit does not last the life of the vehicle. Serious failures are likely before the car reaches 100,000 miles...
3
3

CM927 thermostat
Dropped thermostat and battery fittings fell out, I have no idea how to put them back into place within the unit. Could someone please help!
1
1

Ebay browsing painfully slow
Andy Burns presented the following explanation : Yes I had, but disabling the the blocker for ebay makes no difference at all. A full next page takes 40 seconds before I can begin to slide the page...
16
16

Looking for a replacement switch
It ia for 12v and goes in a fancy gold frame containing the 10w halogen reflector lamp. Now converted to LED reflector lamp. The switch is similar to a rocker type, but with no surrounding lip, just...
9
9

Flat 3 flex
The Anglepoise originally had flat 3 flex (no sheath) and this seems best for fitting into a square tube. The 0.5 sq. mm. that I used has an intermittent break at one of the 'elbows' and, as it's such...
21
21

Part P for Toilet? And Extractor Fan needed.
Suus cuique crepitus bene olet.
12
12

[Power] Aug 21 solar eclipse will reduce US energy generation by 9MW
Interesting. Article on how the upcoming solar eclipse will temporarily reduce US energy generation by ~9MW due to loss of solar, requiring gas and hydro reserves to be brought online. "During the...
28
28

blackberries near Peterborough
Go to the Services at the junction of the A1 and the A605. The lorry and caravan parking area is a long thin bit to the west of the rest of the site. Go right to the end, in between the two rows of...
11
11

OT: Hi-vis
I'd always wondered, until today, why British Rail insist on Orange Hi-Vis and won't let you on the tracks with the industry standard fluorescent yellow. Driving down a minor but straight country road...
16
16

Air conditioning
My 20 y/o Haier monobloc ("portable"!!!) air conditioner has gone bang (well, it went "beep, beep, beep, beep, etc. in the night, I unplugged it to shut it up and this morning it is dead. It wasn't...
11
11

Achieving High Torque Settings for Nuts & Bolts
I need to do up a bolt (crankshaft pully) to 220ft/lb, apparently. Not really sure why it demands such a high figure, but I'm no mechanical engineer. My torque wrench, which I thought was pretty big,...
18
18

Wall mount cordless (DECT) phone.
I have a wall mount DECT phone branded Wharfdale. Really nice design - the base station is a sort of half ball, and the docking part can be rotated within that for either wall or table mount. And the...
11
11

Fitting a phone connector
How easy is it to shorten a phone lead? Standard BT connector. Can the old plug be re-used, or do you need a new one? Special crimp tool? (I'd rather not have a splice in the cable as it would show -...
16
16

OT Policing the internet
Is there a single police force in Britain that doesn't care more about mean tweets than the victims of FGM? Watch Tommy Robinson of TheRebel.media expose how the police care more about what you're...
1
1