Part P for Toilet? And Extractor Fan needed.

I'm fitting a 2nd toilet (ie pan and basin) in an old cloakroom downstairs for SWMBO. Wanting to be legal I applied for Building Regs Approval and the council guy told me because its a 'bathroom' I need Part P elec testing (I plan to wire in a light and spur for a macerator). Part P testing will co st approx £180 (I am time served and C&G2391 but not Part P).

In the IEE regs #701 a 'bathroom' is described as having a bath or shower h ence my 2nd toilet room isn't a 'bathroom' so surely doesn't need Part P fo r that reason. Numerous Part P leaflets quote a bathroom or kitchen as requ iring Part P but not a toilet room. Can anyone advise if I'm barking up the wrong tree? Don't want to spend £180 for Part P testing if its unnece ssary.

Secondly he says as its a 'bathroom' I will have to fit an extractor which I don't want to as its on the front house wall (and will look crap) and we already have an openable window. Not sure whether this is building regs or IEE regs, I cant find it in the wiring regs.

Thanks

Reply to
simon mitchelmore

Yeah, loads of old sites haven't been updated since the 2013 changes where a kitchen is no longer a special location (assuming the house is in England)

The part P approved document is free to download, but it says the same as the regs i.e. if no bath, shower, sauna or swimming pool, it isn't a special location.

Reply to
Andy Burns

There's no such thing as "Part P" qualification. All electrical work must c omply with Part P, which basically means test and certify to IET Wiring Reg s.

Work in bathrooms is *notifiable* if the person certifying is not also a me mber of a self-certification scheme.

If you have a C&G 2391 and the appropriate test equipment you are qualified to certify the work, and you are already notifying it.

Who is the council proposing carrying out this "Part P Test" for £180? And what sort of test is it going to be as such a thing is not recognised by the IET Wiring Regulations.

You don't have to have the extract vent at high level on the house wall, yo u can drop an internal duct down (if you have suspended floors) and exit be low floor level behind the flowerbeds, possibly going right through the hou se and exiting on the rear wall.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

It's not completely clear, but if you installed the wiring before the notif iable plumbing work, you wouldn't have to notify the wiring at all, as it w ould already exist! Then your Building Regs appl would simply be "connect m acerator to existing fused spur, no electrical work required".

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

If its not got a bath or shower, its not a bathroom.

Kitchens were removed from the part P approved doc that was revised in

2013. The rest of the world is still catching up ;-)

No need to AFAICS... do the work, keep the test results just in case.

Its not a wiring regs requirement.

Reply to
John Rumm

OP - download the "Approved Documents" covering ventilation - you will be able to confirm yourself.

Bathrooms/showerooms all now require extractor fans even if they have an opening window - but that's for damp mostly.

Not sure about stand alone loos - but I suspect not?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Suus cuique crepitus bene olet.

Reply to
Max Demian

Nec verum est. Quibus communis opus locus aliquis odore suo quasi ægro tare pedit.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Proverbio antiquo Romanorum loquitur veritatem.

Reply to
Max Demian

Veritas per mutat tempora, at iacet mendacium semper manebit.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

One of them being that a macerator is a good idea.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Two weeks ago a BCO was on site at two different jobs I was doing.

  1. A new build with a downstairs toilet, an opening window and no fan
  2. A toilet extension with an opening window and no fan.

Both were happy with the setup. The toilet extension only got a minor works certificate with no Part P notification.

Reply to
ARW

I just started another thread, but this, which is as horse's mouth as it gets says:

as far as I can tell, "notifiable only applies to zones 0,1 and 2.

As most ceilings are > 2.25m high and zone 2 is 0.6m from the side of a bath or shower tray, it turns out my main bathroom has nothing in a "special location".

That should also give a definitive quotable reference for this thread's OP too.

NB in Wales, "special location" appears to be any room containing a bath or shower (or sauna, swimming pool etc).

Reply to
Tim Watts