Fitting a phone connector

How easy is it to shorten a phone lead? Standard BT connector. Can the old plug be re-used, or do you need a new one? Special crimp tool? (I'd rather not have a splice in the cable as it would show - and the idea is to make it look neater.)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you don't want to get a ratchet-crimp tool for the BT431a plugs, there's a cheap alternative, a metal slug that you use in pliers (or a small vice for more even pressure)

Reply to
Andy Burns

Very easy to replace it with a shorter one.

Nope.

Yep.

Yep.

(I'd rather

Reply to
Jack Konstan

IME new plug and crimp tool.

Reply to
Capitol

Dave Plowman (News) explained :

If you mean the flexible lead, which plugs into the wall socket...

Usually you can unplug the lead at either end, enabling you to just replace the entire lead with a shorter or longer one to suit. You can buy ready made leads of various lengths on ebay.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

£15 p & p?

Much cheaper to buy in bulk:

or

Reply to
Terry Casey

They come in all possible lengths?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Before the metal slugs became available (and I think I've seen them even in B&Q) and when crimp tools were too expensive I had acceptable results tapp ing the contacts into place in the plug housing with the snapped off end of a hacksaw blade and a small hammer.

Worth doing a continuity test before cutting an existing cable, as you may need to take the centre pair (at the RJ11 phone end) and move it to the mid dle pair (2 & 5) (at the BT 431A wall end)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

sorry, I didn't look at the P&P, was just showing what was available short of a full crimp tool, not suggesting where to buy from, had mine years from one of the sheds.

Reply to
Andy Burns

And now, having looked at the P&P it says 50p to me ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Just opened it up again and it still says £15 on my screen!

Reply to
Terry Casey

Did I mangle the original link then? Here's the shipping details page for the item ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

New connector needed. Probably need a crimp tool though. You could fit a box rather than an inline socket.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I have used one of these kits, no crimp tool required just insert plug and metal block in a small vice to crimp. This kit seems to have suffered cut backs as I am sure the one I got had more than 2 plugs in.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

no, yes, yes

You need a new plug and crimp tool, or you possibly be able to shorten it at the phone end if its hard wired.

Reply to
John Rumm

FWIW I see 99p + 50p P&P. So you're both seeing things...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Ah! Using the original link you provided:

clearly (still) shows £15.00 for P&P BUT, if you click on 'View Details', it becomes £0.50 ...

Reply to
Terry Casey