1) a 10 strand phone line (underground) was cut during a landscaping
project. About 4 feet from entry of the cable as it goes into the
house (into the basement).
2) The 'Digg' or 'OOps' number was not called first, it was obvious
the cable would have been in that vicinity.
3) Will the phone company fix this for free? (as someone has told me)
Dunno, but curious to hear the answers. The same thing happened to mine. I
spliced a patch in there. Now the phone company has to come wire one end to
the new addition, then run about twenty feet to the original location. Hope
it's not too bad.
In most cases, the phone company should repair it. They typically
are responsible for the line up to the outside box where it enters the
home. They may in turn bill the landscaper who cut it, particularly
since a markout service was not called.
That was my experience too. They flagged the right of way but did not
locate my phone line, which we hit ... of course. Fortunately I had a
roll of flooded phone cable I found in a dumpster so I just had my
"labor" ditch it in and I connected it up to there green post on the
ROW. Their line was about 2" deep. I put it back about 18" down and
"sleeved" it under the new driveway in a 2" PVC.
something like this
I don't know this company, it's just a google search.
Thanks for posting the interesting links.
When it comes to "safety tape", I can't say I've ever seen it "protecting"
non-hazardous, buried plant. That doesn't mean I think it doesn't happen or
gets placed, just that I've never seen it in the field.
Usually, the way a brain-dead digger knows that something is amiss are the
short lengths of fine, colored wire coming up with their spoils. Either that
or when the convoy of telco trucks show up.
Safety tape is probably never placed for a buried phone "drop". It might have
helped in the OP's case, though.
[chopping on "tree root"] Oh, sh*t! It's a WIRE! Ethel! Call the power
company! What do you mean the phone's dead?
When I did the CBYD thing prior to trenching new conduit to get proper
power out to my shop, each utility came out with their cable locator,
clamped the transmitter around the appropriate wire at the house and
then tracked back accurately locating the wire back well past my
designated work area, marking and flagging along the way. No surprises
though, nothing in the way for 75' or the 80' run and then the last 5'
was at the point where everything came to the house so I had to hand dig
that section to avoid the phone, power and two cable lines.
I'm trying to access the telco's computers and review their repair
rates.....hmm....can't seem to do it. Unless you get unbelievably lucky and
one of their repair people reads this newsgroup, I'm afraid you'll have to
make a phonecall.
What I would do, although I did 31 years
in the Telco business, is to go
to Lowes or Menards, etc. and get some
splice beanies. These beanies
have a place to push the 2 ends of the
broken wire, same color. You then
squeeze the beanie and it cuts the
insulation and connects the 2 together.
Some even have some silicon goo to make
it more waterproof. They also
have cylinders where you shove the
spliced wires and apply a sealant.
All the silicon goo/caulk/sealant/whatever isn't even CLOSE to the encapsulant
used for "official" buried splices.
In >34 years I've lost count of all the DIY buried splices I've dug up. Sorry.
The line has already been patched (by telco) in the middle of its 1
furlong run one time from when the elec co. broke the phone line. I
couldn't be there to see what he used, too bad. It was only about 4
Surely this encapsulant can be purchased somewhere. Its a large city
ps thanks everyone for all the input.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.