Heat/ac unit

My wife came in from the garage saying that the heat/ac unit was making a noise although it was off at the thermostat. My neighbor says that the transformer always is buzzing , while I have never noticed one way or the other. Is this normal? Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Don G

Some transformers do make a slight humming noise, which can be amplified if it's fastened to sheet metal, etc. I'd feel it and see if it's more than slightly warm. If it is, then replace.

Reply to
trader4

In addition to what trade suggested I would suggest that where most of our participants live it is now past the A/C season and you should be able to shut down the system. That would include shutting down A/C (not heatpump) including the 240V supply. That may kill the transformer. Then you can decide if it is enough of a problem to replace it or wait and see what happens in the spring and maybe when it is warmer it may quiet down.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Transformer was the correct answer, thanks.

Reply to
Don G

That is turn it off, not damage it. :-)

Reply to