Light diffuser attachment for ceiling bulb?

I've been doing a few stretches and have been annoyed by the glare of the direct light from the hanging ceiling bulb. It's the usual mains-voltage GLS bulb.

I can't get enough lght from other lamps in the room, so I was wondering if it's possible to buy a diffuser attachment which hangs below the bulb itself?

Reply to
pamela

Make your own, or this?

Richard

Won't you have to ask the Governors permission.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

That along the lines I'm thinking but I'd like it to be more transparent. Also cheaper.

I was thinking of something which suspended a frosted glass disc below the bulb.

Reply to
pamela

Something here,

? Then DIY with a bit of wire.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

After seeing that I came across these vintage mid-century lamp difusers. They knew what they were doing all those years ago!

For simplicity, maybe I'll stick a glass or metal disc onto the actual bulb using some heat resistant glue. Epoxy might burn so what glue would be suitable?

Reply to
pamela

Maybe it's the blinding lamp used for interrogations...

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

But when the bulb blows, you'll have to replace both bulb and disc. At least with a clip-on diffuser, you can just reattach it onto the new bulb. Plenty of choices here

It would be a good idea to leave space around the edge of any diffuser you use to allow cooling air to circulate, otherwise the bulb may overheat and damage the socket, or worse!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

white card works

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

If I go to the links in your Google search I see several American and Chinese products but not any UK ones apart from the antiques. I wonder if there's some safety regulation in the EU prohibiting diffusers which clip onto the bulb..

There are some non clip-on fabric diffusers listed but they need the correct size shade.

As an alternative to my idea of a diffuser stuck onto the bulb (cheap and easy), I suppose I could fit a lamp shade carrier pointing downwards by sharing same mounting on the bulbholder as the lampshade itself.

pamela

How about replacing the lampshade with an "uplighter" one. Eg.something like

or

Mike Clarke