Which varnish?

Which varnishes would be good for wooden coasters? Also which glue for a cork backing? I'm told it needs to not be expensive, but must last a few years at least.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

cork backing? I'm told it needs to not be expensive, but must last a few ye ars at least.

I would use an equal mix of spirit-based varnish, white spirits, and danish oil. Bush it on and wait a few minutes before removing surplus with a rag. Several layers are needed and should be left for a couple of hours between applications. The result is waterproof and pretty heat resistant.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

a cork backing? I'm told it needs to not be expensive, but must last a few years at least.

sh oil. Bush it on and wait a few minutes before removing surplus with a ra g. Several layers are needed and should be left for a couple of hours betwe en applications. The result is waterproof and pretty heat resistant.

You'd want to define what you are calling Danish Oil. Different manufacture rs have different ideas and most are omly thinned varnish

Reply to
fred