Car emission kit life span and cost of replacement.

"Diesels are taking a hit due to the gradual public realisation that the emissions reducing kit does not last the life of the vehicle. Serious failures are likely before the car reaches 100,000 miles and the cost of replacement far outweighs any saving on fuel."

Can anyone explain what has to be replaced and perhaps why it is so expensive?

Reply to
Michael Chare

The only thing I can think of is DMFlywheels, but even some petrol engines have them.

DPFilters seem to last as long as petrol cats.

I'm wondering too.

Reply to
Fredxxx

I was assuming particulate filters which I think can fail at around 100k miles if hard used.

They are expensive on some cars.

See

EGR valve as well.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

DPF - Diesel Particulate Filter. Go to, say, Mr BMW and get a new one for your rep spec 320d and it'll come in the far side of a grand. The units themselves are rather pricey aftermarket too (say £400.)

Trouble with DPFs is they're a bit of a solution looking for a problem, catching soot and then trying to burn it off (using extra fuel) to turn it into a different soot (that still gets punted out of the exhaust.)

However, cleaning them out is actually fairly straightforward with a pressure-washer. Did a friend's 330d and it was far harder getting the unit out past the engine mount than cleaning it.

Reply to
Scott M