Subject Author Posted Replies

Honeywell Auto Bypass DU145
I need to check the setting on the Honeywell Auto Bypass valve on my CH. At the moment it's set with the pointer on the orange cap pointing to the end of the white line with the number 1 just showing...
3
3

Buzzing crackling transformer
Hi all I bought a couple of 6.2a versions these from a UK supplier to wire in some LED lights When the lights are on, the transformers buzz/ crackle but then I disconnect the lights they are silent...
8
8

OT: Car heaters and ice scraping
Do modern cars not have demisters or something? What's with all the morons wasting 10 minutes of their time scarping ice off their windscreens? Simply start your car and put the demister on 10 minutes...
108
108

repressurised boiler is now noisy
I've just repressurised my boiler to 1 bar, now their is a chugging noise from it.
1
1

Plastic Rawlplug Success
Maybe everybody does this, but... Heavy curtains, rail about 100mm from wall so lots of leverage. Over the years, two brackets at one end have failed a couple of times and have been fixed by using...
15
15

OT: Telephone ringers for the hearing impaired?
Hi all, We just had my sister on the phone asking if we could pop round to check Mum was ok (1/2 mile away) as she couldn't get though to her on the phone. Daughter walked round there (snow on roads)...
48
48

OT Wetherspoons phasing out steaks
It's now going to be pizzas they sell. Better profit margin.
41
41

If Salvador Dali did UPS batteries
A couple of weeks ago they were fiddling with our local electrical supply, so they decided to run the area from a local diesel genny which they parked in a field and lashed up to a power pole. Aside...
18
18

OT: Wireless speakers (not Bluetooth)
Hi folks ;-) I want to fit a wireless "extension speaker" in my kitchen (and perhaps elsewhere), to work off my hi-fi. Currently I've got a pair of Thomson UHF wireless headphones (863 MHz or so) with...
14
14

Endoscope/Borescope
I'm looking to buy one for diy use. They're as cheap as £3.54 on amazo n but will they work with a computer here? They all mention android and/or win xp - 7. I don't use any of those here. What's the...
16
16

An unusual clock
I bought a kitchen clock in a second-hand shop. I think it must be German, from the around 1960. Photo: It's not a good picture, sorry. The clock is ceramic, and is very pretty. The mechanism is very...
8
8

Water not getting hot enough
Any ideas why my boiler won't heat the hot water above 55 degrees c. Potterton prima 40 b running y plan stored heating system. All stats and valve working ok but boiler will just keep churning on if...
5
5

MCB tripping and not switching off power
A bit of a flash as the cable popped out of the terminal block and touched the earthed light fitting. Now I would have expected the MCB to have tripped, however power was still on. So a long trip to...
9
9

light switch pull cord
It isn't exactly major works but this is puzzling me. The bathroom light switch pull cord - bog standard, looks like this That is too utilitarian for W towers and Mrs W has asked that it should look...
12
12

Kitchen lights
We currently have 4 x double tube 4" fluorescent light fittings (which no longer work) in our kitchen. When they worked, they gave a lot of light, which is great for seeing what you're doing whilst...
34
34