OT: Car heaters and ice scraping

Do modern cars not have demisters or something? What's with all the morons wasting 10 minutes of their time scarping ice off their windscreens? Simply start your car and put the demister on 10 minutes before you leave.
--
Joey's teacher sent a note home to his Mother saying, "Joey seems to be a very bright boy, but spends too much of his time thinking about sex and girls."
The Mother wrote back the next day, "If you find a solution, please advise. I have the same problem with his Father."

And make sure you sit in your car all the time the engine is running so as not to leave the car unattended and stealable. I sometimes start the car with one key and then use the spare key to lock it so it can't be stolen.
But much quicker to scrape the ice off or spray it with deicer, than to wait ages for the heater to very gradually warm up - my car takes *ages* for the heater to get warm or the temperature gauge to get up to normal, if the engine is idling - probably because it's a diesel so it is more efficient and wastes less energy as heat at idling speed.
"Start your car and put the demister on 10 minutes before you leave" implies that you plan ahead and are not doing everything at the last minute like me :-)

I don't live in a place where a car is likely to be stolen.

You don't have to wait. I simply start the car before I eat my breakfast.
Apparently it's better for the car to be warm before you drive off anyway - taxing a cold engine is bad?
Also, if you've used the demister, all the windows are perfectly clear with no chance of re-misting, much safer.

Funny you should say that, I've found diesels take longer to warm up too, yet I've been told you get warmer heaters from them - by strange people who think they run slightly hotter. My Golf diesel for example, the engine actually cooled down if I used the demister on full when I wasn't moving. If it was at full temperature and I put the blower on 4, it would cool the engine and I'd get luke warm air. I'd have to use fan 2 to get keep getting full temperature at idle.

You must have some kind of sequence in the morning - shaving, brushing your teeth etc. Just insert starting the car at a sensible point into that so it can warm up in time for you leaving.
--
Computers are like air conditioners: They stop working when you open Windows.

On 10/12/2017 15:00, NY wrote:

I used to have a Ford Escort with a heated windscreen. I started the engine, turned the windscreen (and rear window) heater on, went round with a scraper, and, by the time I had scraped the side (and rear) windows, the windscreen was clear. And stayed clear. No peering through the inch of clear windscreen above the dashboard.
The only disadvantage was that the fine elements were distracting in fog.
--
Max Demian

On Sun, 10 Dec 2017 20:02:02 +0000, Max Demian wrote:

I take that as a warning that you may think you're focused outside but you're not. You ought to try a bendy road with no walls or fences covered by a couple of inches of fresh snow with no tyre marks from earlier cars with thick hill fog meaning you can't see from from one snow pole to the next. I figured if it got bumpy I was no longer on the road...
--
Cheers
Dave.

Back in olden times when I had a Mk.2 Escort that sort of driving was a lot more fun.

Without power steering?
--
Fellows, it's often easier to just give in to your wife. I mean, what's your word against thousands of hers?

On Sun, 10 Dec 2017 15:00:00 -0000

If I anticipate an early icy start then I put a fan heater in the car the night before, and switch it on the same time as the kettle. We have a car cover somewhere that might be useful in the current weather (or might just end up frozen to the car).

I can remember my father putting a paraffin heater under his garaged car in the 1950s.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

On 11/12/2017 17:01, charles wrote:

Mine used to drain the rad and refill with hot water.
--
Max Demian

Had they not invented antifreeze?
--
FART stands for FAst Repetitive Ticks, and herrings use them to communicate.

It took some time to catch on. When it did, at first people just put it in in the winter. Springtime they would drain the rad and use plain water until the next winter.
--
Max Demian

Why on earth would you go to the trouble of removing it during summer?
--
There are two people I trust to use my computer. Myself and you are not the other one.

I've always wondered this. I can remember my dad saying that when he had his car serviced in the spring they would drain the coolant and replace it with water, and then at the autumn service (*) they would drain that and replace it with water and antifreeze. It sounds as if there was some reason why the same mixture of antifreeze and water was not used whenever it was replenished, whatever season.
I remember my mum's Renault, which had a cooling system with a glass expansion vessel, was unusual in the time in that it used antifreeze all year round.
(*) He did a high mileage - Leeds-London-Leeds plus other journeys each week, and service intervals were shorter in the 1970s: hence the more frequent services

Antifreeze also serves as anti-boil-over (it raises the boiling point of the water?), maybe this wasn't always the case and it actually lowered it.
--
Quando omni Flunkus Moritati - When all else fails, play dead.

That would apply if you used meths.
--
Max Demian

I have no idea what's in it. I just put it in any time of year whenever I add water.
--
Peter is listening to "Who's the best - DJ Mad Dog feat. Tommyknocker"

because it was nasty and corrosive.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

On 12/12/2017 17:53, charles wrote:

That's my assumption.
--
Max Demian

The other thing that has inproved winter satarting is multigrade oils.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England