Help with scraping

I've experimented a bit and I'm sold on scraping over sanding. The trouble is I've never actually seen it done by an expert, I've only read magazine articles and threads here, and watched the little videos on the FWW website. I'm satisfied that I've got the scraper set up well, re: flattening, drawing the burr, setting the hook, &tc. At least, it "feels" right and the surface is way good.

My question is this: how long should a scraper edge/hook last before it should be re-flattened and re-hooked? (Assuming I'm scraping common native hardwoods, e.g. cherry, oak, walnut, planed by hand with a smoother, then scraped a with Sandvik card scrapers). Should an edge last for 1-2 sq ft of surface? 5 sq ft? 10 sq ft?

Also, is the duration of an edge a function of the quality of the hook, or the set of the hook (e.g 5 deg vs 15 deg)?

As always, thanks a heap,

-jbb

Reply to
J.B. Bobbitt

the edge lasts until it don't cut no more. you can do several rounds of burnishing before you have to go back to the stone. first run the burnisher flat on the face of the scraper to "unhook" the burr, then at an angle to rehook the burr. I usually get about 3 times of that before I have to go back to the stone.

Reply to
bridger

Go to this site /page and click on the Video Tip about sharpening a scraper...Really good!

Keith P.

Keith

Aggressiveness of the cut is a function of the angle. The bigger the burr, the more aggressive the cut, and the shorter the time until it must be repaired.

Heat is what does the fine edge in, perhaps even more so than abrasive substances in the wood.

Reply to
George