Scraping Trim

I volunteered to help paint window trim next week on the local school. For scraping can I buy a brush ? that will fit my cordless drill or am I going to be using a paint scrapper.

Reply to
Retired and hacking

Go look at the windows to see what you are up against. Wood? Metal? Very old, ie Lead Paint hazard? Flaking, chalky? Mildew? Often a heat gun and proper scrapers is a good approach. I have never found wire brush on a drill to be the answer. And if you have old potentially lead based paint, avoid making dust, and avoid the fumes if you use a heat gun. You may need a mask. While you are working, position yourself above the target area.

And what you did not learn in the Army (Never Volunteer), this job may teach you.

Stoney

Retired and hack>

Reply to
Stoney

My experience with trying to use a wire brush for paint/varnish removal was many years ago and a dismal failure. I would not recommend it. And, depending on the number of windows, you will probably run the battery (ies) down on that drill faster than you can recharge them, unless you have about

5 charged up and ready.
Reply to
CMF

And if you have to go out and buy a scraper, make sure its a carbide tipped scraper. I bought mine at Menards. These things stay sharp forever.

dickm

Reply to
dicko