scraping plane - anyone use one?

Getting old and the hands don't work as well as they use to. Flexing a scraper to get a decent surface. So anyone use a scraper and is the only reason they are so expensive that there's only a couple of makers of them? Regards, Pat

Reply to
patrick

I saw a Stanley #85 scraper plane on Ebay for $450. It looks great but that's way too steep for me.

You can buy scaper holders that flex for you.

Michael

A brand new scraping plane from Lee Valley runs $179 USD.

Reply to
Jay Pique

You can get a brand-new L-N #85 (as good as the stanley, if not better) for $215

Of more general use is the 112 analogue for $235. Or the lee valley version for $175

Or the small scraping plane from lee valley

There are various reproduction #80's around as well, including one from woodcraft. I picked up a New-in-box Stanley #80M at an antique store recently for $35.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

That qualifies for a "You suck!"

Reply to
-MIKE-

Yeah. Incredibly, this was from one of the higher-priced antique malls I regularly visit - on cannery row in Monterey.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

+1
Reply to
Michael

You are a woodworker, why not build your own? There is a set of plans out there more recent than these (frankly this one is ugly)

That uses a Hock blade set at something like 95degrees. I built one, and it works okay. I prefer a Cabinet Scraper, (Stanley #80), which are on Ebay for anywhere from $20 on up.

Then there is this from Lumberjocks. There is also a set of plans in one of the woodworking mags that was published about a year ago.

Reply to
Dr. Deb

I just looked it up... I bought a new #80 and with delivery it ran $33.20. That was in December 2002. ;~)

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

That's one of the made-in-the-UK ones. The real made-in-usa #80 production was terminated 1984. The #80M production terminated in 1974.

Scott Lurndal

It works just fine regardless for the applications to which it is applied... mostly things like stripping finish off and scrapping glue. I have a good selection of card scrapers for finer work and particularly like the thinnest L-N scraper.

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

A follow-up on this. Your note reminded me that I had lost a bolt on my Veritas scraper holder. No telling where it went. Just one of those deals where you pick it up one day and no bolt.

So I wrote and asked about the cost of a replacement bolt. I received an email that said they would send another, no cost. It arrived today.

GREAT company.

Reply to
Michael

I'll bet you asked nicely. The bolt is probably $5.95 with $11.95 shipping for those that send a b*itchy email, complaining about the quality of the product. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Excellent point.

Reply to
Dr. Deb

doubt that is the only reason

some folks just like to pay more for tools to make themselves happy and as long as there are these buyers there will be sellers

i do use furniture scrapers which you can diy

Reply to
Electric Comet