OT: Car heaters and ice scraping

That's what they used to do in films. I don't know how practicable it was in real life. In any case, they developed "zone toughened" windscreens where a part would always remain clear when crazed over.

Reply to
Max Demian

I remember a Tomorrow's World programme that featured laminated and toughened glass. The presenter jumped up and down on a car windscreen to demonstrate how strong it is. I don't know whether all car windscreens are made of it or not.

Reply to
Max Demian

There's no point in having recirculation if you don't have AC, but some cars do if there are AC and non AC models.

Reply to
Max Demian

The AC is more effective with recirculate on as it's cooling the same air.

Reply to
Max Demian

I remember the route of the cross-country run a school took us past a car breakers yard. Occasionally there would be a car on the verge that had not yet been taken inside the high fence. Most of us would stop and throw stones at the windscreen. Normally a well-aimed rock would shatter the (toughened) glass. One car had a windscreen that just would not break. One lad found a huge boulder, climbed onto the bonnet and dropped it onto the windscreen. The screen cracked but remained otherwise intact. That's when I first learned about laminated windscreens.

Are any car windows still made of toughened glass or are that laminated all round nowadays? Certainly on all my recent cars I haven't seen the coloured streaks that characterised a toughened screen when you looked through polaroid sunglasses. The last car which had toughened glass was my 1993 Mark III Golf - and that was only on the sunroof. I got into the car one morning and there was a faint disinfectant smell, a damp patch on the carpet and a hole about the size of a tennis ball in the crazed glass of the sunroof - I presume it was a patch of "ice" from the loo of a passing plane...

Reply to
NY

I'd have thought that, but my car window mists up more quickly on a cold morning if I turn on recirc, even with AC turned on. Not sure why that should be.

Reply to
NY

I think that most cars still have toughed glass on the side and rear windows. The first heated rear windows used laminated glass until they found how to stick the heater element to the inside of the glass. (You used to be able to buy self adhesive rear window heaters for cars that didn't have them as standard, but this would be the 70s.)

Reply to
Max Demian

What about the ice on the inside? SWMBO'd used a screen protector the other day, worked great on the outside but didn't do anything for the inside... Frost on the inside is fairly common here across several vehicles.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

What's wrong with diesels? They cost less to run and are more reliable and the engines last longer.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Any car is damp if you haven't warmed up the engine. Just try scraping your windscreen, get in the car and drive off, then cough on the windscreen. Report to us from A&E when you find you can't see where you're going. I see people all the time driving along peering through a little gap in a fogged up windscreen.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Says the guy who used cardboard boxes to save money!

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Why do such vans not simply have a camera and LCD where the rearview mirror goes?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Why not jut toughen all of it?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Never known a car without recirc. I assume it's so you can warm the car up faster, or prevent incoming smells or dust (if you know in advance somehow).

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Somebody google it.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I think laminated is required by law for the front, and probably toughened on the sides, so you can smash them to escape.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I take that as a warning that you may think you're focused outside but you're not. You ought to try a bendy road with no walls or fences covered by a couple of inches of fresh snow with no tyre marks from earlier cars with thick hill fog meaning you can't see from from one snow pole to the next. I figured if it got bumpy I was no longer on the road...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

We misspent our youth by smashing up TVs. Implosions are cool.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I only ever got that on an old Peugeot with no heater. If you regularly use the car and run the heater, the inside doesn't get that damp.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

60's My 1971 Cortina had a proper one from new.
Reply to
charles