How not to get stuck in snow

About 5 years ago I had my parking lot repaved. The paving company intentionally put a shallow slope in the asphalt so that rain and snow melt would run off the parking lot. But, the slope we're talking about is only about 1/8 of an inch per foot; about half of what's required for drain piping.

But, every year I get several tenants knocking on my door and asking for shovels and ice chippers and salt because their cars are stuck in the snow in their parking stall. And, I've finally figured it out.

Tenants won't bother to remove the clumps of ice or hard packed snow that forms behind their wheel wells. As long as the car is in motion, convection removes the heat from the body of the car. But, when they park their cars, the heat from the interior of the car warms the body of the car, and these clumps of ice fall off BEHIND their wheels. So, then, when they want to get out of their parking stalls, those clumps of ice act like wheel blocks to prevent the car from moving, and their wheels just spin and dig holes in the snow.

So, if you live in a climate where snow collects into massive stallagtites behind each of your car's wheels, use a hatchet or something to cut those things off before you park your car. Then, when you next put your car in reverse to pull out of your parking stall, there won't be those blocks of ice behind your wheels to prevent your car from moving.

Reply to
nestork

Due to a really bad winter I sure had a lot of those snow clumps...but as soon at I move the car or turn the wheel they fall off.

Reply to
philo

Nestork,

Why don't you back into the parking space?

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

Yup, Over here we are all on snow tires. That problem does not bother us.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

You talkin' about them Road Turds???

Reply to
clare

The answer seems to be front wheel drive.

The alley had turned completely to ice and I had no trouble getting through.

One of my neighbors who has a rear wheel drive could not even back up to get into the alley.

Reply to
philo

All you have to do is kick them. But you want your tenants to knock them off their cars before they turn into the parking stall. You don't think they'd stop in the street to do that, do you? No, at best they'll stop in the parking lot, kick them off, then park. Either way, you'll get snow chunks accumulating in your parking lot, because it's winter time.

All they have to do is turn their wheels before backing up so as to not back right up and over the ice turds.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

Really? Would you care to explain how turning the wheel causes the rear wheels to not back up over ice turds that are directly behind the rear wheels?

Besides, the OP mentioned "parking stalls". How much can you turn while backing out of a parking stall?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Hear, hear.

I also back into my garage. Why? the thinking is that when I come home, I can take my time to carefully put the car away. And who knows, what kind of emergency may require me to drive out fast, when I don't have that time. One time after a severe accident to one foot; I had to drive myself to the hospital. I really, really was glad I only had to drive the car 'forward' to get there. Even more glad it was an automatic.

Now, where I live ALL the neighbors now back into their garages. HA!

Reply to
RobertMacy

Most cars nowadays are front wheel drive, so most resistance comes from what's blocking the front wheels. Turn the front wheels a bit and the car can move much more easily. It then only has the hump behind one or both rear wheels to climb over, and it can now do so. You don't need to turn the wheels much, nor do you need to maintain the angle of turn beyond a foot of progress. Once you're past the lump, just straighten the wheels and keep moving.

I've only been dealing with this for the past month. We got several heavy snows, and the ice turd accumulation has been relentless. I had some drop off in my garage that I wasn't aware of until they'd frozen into place. So I had to slightly maneuver around them the same way I had to maneuver around the ones in the parking stalls at work.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

I used to allow a bit of 'running' space. Park slightly out of the space, then on start up gently drive forward, and ram it out in reverse and 'hop' over the clumps. Sadly, some parking lots do NOT allow backing into the stalls.

Reply to
RobertMacy

I have been backing into parking spots for about as long as I have been driving. There are a number of reasons, one of which no longer applies.

The main reason is that I hate trying to back out of a parking spot in a busy parking lot. Pulling out of the spot is so much easier because you can see the traffic in the lanes and you can make eye contact with the other drivers. It's quick and easy. The offset is the need to back in which is only an issue if the driver behind you is either an a-hole or doesn't realize that you pulled past the spot so that you can back in. The quicker you are at pulling forward and putting the vehicle in reverse, the better. Using your turn signal is also important, assuming the driver behind you is somewhat intelligent. Of course, the best case is a pull through spot. I'm always amazed at the drivers that have a pull through spot available, yet leave their vehicle in the "back" spot which will require them the back out if someone parks in front of them. How hard is it to think ahead and take the front spot so you can pull right out?

The other reason I've always backed in is based on an old bad habit. When I was young and stupid my brain would tell me to back in while sober so I wouldn't have to back out when I was drunk. It was a safety issue. ;-) My drinking days are behind me so that's no longer an issue.

I also think that one of the reasons I don't mind backing in is because I don't mind driving in reverse. I'll back up "long" distances every now and then just to stay in practice. I've driven in reverse around entire blocks on occasion. I'll admit that I'm not as adapt at high speed reverse driving as when I was younger, but I can still back a vehicle into (and through) some pretty tight areas regardless of whether or not multiple turns are required. Some drivers are just not very skilled at driving in reverse and I feel it's because they never purposely practice.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The trick is to ALWAYS look in reverse, never change back to looking front while driving backwards. And, sometimes moving your hand to the inside at the bottom of the wheel helps [or such], but I think that type crutch will ultimately mislead the brain and is fraught with peril.

No matter how you cut it, driving backwards is ultimately unstable. Rear wheel steering just is not good. Like trying to land a 'tail dragger' airplane, all is well until you're below 'flying' speed and then watch out.

Reply to
RobertMacy

Corvair, VW Bug, or old Simca rear drive handled it just fine!!! It's EOD, Engine Over Drive that really makes the difference

Reply to
clare

Ground Loop!!!!

Reply to
clare

I never liked the bottom of the steering wheel method. It was suggested that I try that when backing a trailer and I just couldn't get used to it. I do fine with my hand on the top, trailer or not.

Which is why I practice and think everybody should.

When I was much younger, I had a friend who felt the same way as I do - driving in reverse is a good skill to have. One Saturday night his transmission went bad and the only gear he had was reverse. I "followed" him as he drove over 10 miles in reverse to get the car home. For a short while - one exit's worth on the Van Wyck Expressway - we reached a decent speed. The only thing that slowed him down was the sound of the tranny.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

My dad bought a Corvair in 1964 and I always freaked my friends out by parking in snow banks etc . That think never got stuck.

Ralph Nadir knew shit about safety, that thing was in two front end accidents and was able to drive away fine and no one inside got injured.

It was slightly light in front...so my dad just put a bucket of sand up there.

The last time I got stuck in snow was when my company car was a 1982 Chevy.

Reply to
philo

Screw Nadar.

I had a '62 Corvair Monza coupe with snow tires. I drove a few people home from work in a snowstorm and passed a Jeep on a hill. Loved that car. I was broadsided by an 18 wheeler and has a couple of scratches, but lost the car.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

My first car was a '61 mini. Spark plugs and distributor right out i the open behind the removeable stamped steel grille that spent more time off than on. I'd be out at my girlfriend's place and it would start to rain - a driving west wind chasing it right up the road that I had to take to get to the highway to go home. (as well as numerous good-sized water puddles) Many a time I backed the little mini from the crowsfoot corner, through Winterbourne to the 86.

Reply to
clare

Hi, I guess living in cold Alberta we're well prepared for cold weather driving. All vehicles in my family are AWD type(Acura, Subaru) with good winter tires. This winter is like coldest in 20 years. More than usual snow and cold temp. Wife and kids park in the garage, I am left outside in the back yard parked inside a potable car port. I programmed my remote starter when temp. drops below -25C, it starts and runs 5 mins. Also my remote fob can check batttery condition(voltage) and engine bay temp. So far haven't got stuck this winter, LOL!

Reply to
Tony Hwang