How not to get stuck in snow

I disagree. I find it easier backing out. People will give you more room since they want to steal your spot. I also have a double-wide driveway, so I back out of the garage with no difficulty.

Reply to
Adam Kubias

Having owned a string of Corvairs, I agree they were good in the snow. But about 6 or 7 inches of unplowed snow could stop them cold.

The entire underside of the car was flat. Get the car up on that and it's not moving anywhere.

Reply to
Dan Espen

But you could back it out after jumping on the back bumper.

Reply to
clare

When I had RWD cars I always put 3 100lb bags of sand in the trunk over the axle in late fall. I NEVER got stuck. My Ford F-100 got 5 bags. Sand is cheap, but there's a MPG penalty. With FWD cars I try to not let the gas tank get below 1/2 tank to minimize fishtailing. When there's a foot of unplowed snow on the road, you best stay home. FWD is much better in snow.

Reply to
Vic Smith

Believe it or not, the law in Manitoba is that landlords are only required to remove snow from the access ways to the tenant's parking spots, not from the parking spots themselves. The parking spot is consider part of the space the tenant is renting, and it's their responsibility to maintain that space just in the same way as it's the tenant's responsibility to maintain a reasonable standard of cleanliness in their apartments. So, it's actually the tenant's responsibility to clear the snow that falls in their parking spot just as it's the tenant's responsibility to remove the dirt that accumulates on their apartment floors during their tenancy.

'Residential Tenancies Branch | Province of Manitoba'

The above web page contains the following statement:

In an outdoor parking lot, the landlord is responsible for clearing snow, when necessary, to give tenants access to their parking stall. The landlord doesnt have to remove snow from individual parking stalls, unless the tenant and landlord have agreed that this service will be provided.

Anyhow, I just wanted to let people know that it's good practice to remove those "ice turds" from their cars in a convenient location before parking their cars somewhere they have to back out over those things.

Reply to
nestork

This is true if they have an assigned spot. If it is "general parking" the landlord may be responsible for clearing it all.

Reply to
clare

I still recall the time when I was in the Army I had to drive a Lieutenant to the top of a mountain in a 1/4 ton truck.

As we got higher up the thing kept stalling due to the increased elevation and we never did make it to the top...but there were some kids up their in Corvair.

Reply to
philo

I recall the time I had to use a pickup truck from work during a snowstorm.

My boss placed a 1000# weight right behind the cab.

An empty pick up truck would me my absolute last choice to use in a snow storm but a loaded one was possibly even better than a jeep.

Reply to
philo

I'd never heard the good side of Corvair autos. Sounds like they had some real advantages. If it doesn't move, paint it green.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Per philo :

Same here, but I would venture that the 1,000 pound weight would kill you dead in a minor crash.

The guy who designed the cargo net I used on my Suburban got is inspiration when a photographer friend was killed by a camera stowed in the trunk of his car. Not that bad a crash, rear seat back flipped down, camera came forward and hit the guy in the back of the head.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Maybe my boss wanted it that way.

Anyway I'm still alive but he is no longer alive.

Reply to
philo