OT: Car heaters and ice scraping

Mine used to drain the rad and refill with hot water.

Reply to
Max Demian

Yeah by using laminated rather than toughened. Which is what they do now.

Reply to
Max Demian

Yes, I've had those in the past.

What I need to do at the moment is put something on one of the fenceposts rather than the car.

Having changed cars, the new one is a little longer and has a boot that opens out behind the car (the old one mainly went up, without going out). That means I have to park further forward to enable access to the boot and once a week I have to park well to one side to leave enough room to get the bins past. The combination of the two puts the concrete fencpost about 4" forward of the door edge, just where I will scratch the door panel nicely, whereas the old car was usually a foot further back and, at the worst, the edge of the door would touch the wooden fence panel.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

You'd think manufacturers would have enough brain cells to fit these when the car is made?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

But when they zone toughened, why? Why not just toughen the whole lot?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

On Mon, 11 Dec 2017 17:00:52 -0000, charles wr= ote:

Or 10 minutes idling while you eat breakfast.

-- =

A Jewish woman is sitting at a bar. A man approaches her. "Hi, honey," he says. "Want a little company?" "Why?" asks the woman. "Do you have one to sell?"

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Had they not invented antifreeze?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

If the air temperature is 4 deg C or below the cars AC will not turn on anyway, this is to prevent the heat exchanger matrix icing up.

Reply to
Andy Bennet

So how come my freezer can get below 4C? Redesign required....

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Does the same apply to house heatpumps? If outside is under 4C, you can no longer heat the house?!

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

It took some time to catch on. When it did, at first people just put it in in the winter. Springtime they would drain the rad and use plain water until the next winter.

Reply to
Max Demian

If you toughen the whole lot, the whole thing would craze over if a chipping hit it. Whatever "zone toughened" means, it doesn't mean they just "toughen" a "zone". Duh.

Reply to
Max Demian

Capris used to have plastic strips along the side which served the same purpose.

Reply to
Max Demian

If the car I park next to is more expensive than mine, I don't bother making sure I don't hit it with the door.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Then do tell us exactly what it does mean.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Why on earth would you go to the trouble of removing it during summer?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I've always wondered this. I can remember my dad saying that when he had his car serviced in the spring they would drain the coolant and replace it with water, and then at the autumn service (*) they would drain that and replace it with water and antifreeze. It sounds as if there was some reason why the same mixture of antifreeze and water was not used whenever it was replenished, whatever season.

I remember my mum's Renault, which had a cooling system with a glass expansion vessel, was unusual in the time in that it used antifreeze all year round.

(*) He did a high mileage - Leeds-London-Leeds plus other journeys each week, and service intervals were shorter in the 1970s: hence the more frequent services

Reply to
NY

Antifreeze also serves as anti-boil-over (it raises the boiling point of the water?), maybe this wasn't always the case and it actually lowered it.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

The other thing that has inproved winter satarting is multigrade oils.

Reply to
charles

because it was nasty and corrosive.

Reply to