modern cars

why do the latest cars have no rubber covered button that turns on the interior light when the door is opened ?..... how is it done?

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

Jim Stewart ... snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com wrote

Magnet in one side and hall effect sensor etc on the other side.

MUCH more reliable than a physical switch under the rubber cover.

Reply to
Rod Speed

A sensor on the latch side of the door (rather than the hinge side) also provides a more accurate way of sensing that the door is ajar or barely open: with a physical switch on the hinge side of the door, and slight error in the position of the switch or of its contacts might mean that the lights never switch off even when the door is closed, or else don't turn on until the door is half-way open.

With a latch-side sensor, you can even distinguish between door closed and door slightly open (on the secondary safety latch), which is how cars can warn you that a door is not fully closed.

Reply to
NY

interesting thanks Ron

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

thankls I will have a look

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

I remember one of my cars (I forget which it was - take your pick of Renault

5 Mark 1 or Mark 2, VW Golf Mark 2 or Mark 3, Peugeot 306) which had a mechanical switch but it was on the latch side of the doorframe. This had the same benefit as a modern magnet sensor in that it was very sensitive to the door position and so could detect the door being ajar on the safety catch, as our present-day Peugot 308 and Honda CR-V can with their magnet sensors.
Reply to
NY

Yes I had a torch with those buttons total crap brass switches. Trouble is of course that the more complicated you make something, the less reliable it gets sometimes. Citroen seem to have this issue with their central locking, or so I'm told. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

My old Citroen Xsara Picasso's central locking has been faulty for years, and one of the doors won't lock at all. Doesn't bother me much.

One day it spontaneously started partially working again, which event coincided with the display text spontaneously switching to German. Other than that it's been very reliable. Six months to wait now till the clock's right again.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

------------------------ Union Jack Leather Chesterfield Sofa Regular price: $1,095 USD Overall Width: 37" Armchair, 71" Loveseat, 87" Sofa, 95" Sofa Seat Style: Tufted Bench Leather: Union Jack Authentic Top-Grain Leather Locally-Owned, Small Business (Beloit, WI) $375 Flat-rate Courier Delivery in Continental US

"A Rising Tide lifts all ships..." Proceeds from our furniture fund the operation of our Youth & Community Center in Beloit, Wisconsin.

The Union Jack Chesterfield Leather Sofa is made to order from authentic, top-grain leather, which will only intensify in beauty and character with time.

Upon completion, you are welcome to pickup your furniture in-person for free (BELOIT, WI 53511). If this is the method you'd like to use, please select the option for "Local Pickup" at Checkout.

We also deliver anywhere in the lower 48 using couriers to personally deliver your furniture. Delivery via courier is a flat-rate of $375 regardless of order size.

Lead Time: 14-16 Weeks

David P

I had to drive up from london in a 92 mustang convertible with a constant ding dong that the door was open because of that.......

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

Rover had the same latch-side system in the 2000s.

Reply to
SteveW

------------- In case Brian needs a new sofa! lol

Reply to
David P

My car has that. It's a Toyota that went out of production in 1999.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

oh right