Why does my faucet have a pause button?

About 6 months ago I installed a new kitchen faucet. The unit has 4 features, the first 3 of which I was looking for:

1 - Tall neck for filling large pots 2 - Pull out faucet 3 - Built in sprayer 4 - A pause button

The spray-no spray button is on the pull out portion of the faucet as is the pause button. You have to hold the pause button to pause the water. I figured I'd wait and see if I found the pause button useful.

Well, here it is 6 months later and I have yet to find a need for the pause button.

Can any of you think of a reason to need a pause button - specifically one that you have to hold it in to use - on a kitchen faucet?

I can see one possible reason: perhaps to fill a pot that is not in the sink once the water has been turned on. However, the pull out feature isn't long enough that you can't simply turn the faucet on with the handle. That's almost easier than pulling the faucet out, locating the pause button, holding it in, etc., etc.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I have (and sometimes use) one on the shower. You can stop the water flow without turning the faucet off, thus maintain the same temperature mix.

Probably the same idea on the sprayer if you are rinsing dishes and don't need the water flowing for a few seconds here and there. Saves money on water and heating water.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Did you notice that I said that you have to *hold* the button to pause the water? Do you have to hold a button to pause the shower?

Can you think of a reason why you would want to pause the water at the kitchen sink, knowing that you'll only have one hand available and can't move more than an arm's length from the sink?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

DerbyDad03 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@nntp.aioe.org:

I have 2 Brita filter decanters on the kitchen counter. A pause button would be very helpful to fill both reservoirs, as I often have to do. Now I have to put a lid down, turn off the water, move the faucet, turn on the water, you get it. Not enough of bother to go out and buy a new faucet, but now I know of the feature ...

Reply to
Han

It's a "green" feature, it allows you to pause the water flow when you have finished rinsing a dish as you are placing it in the drying rack and grabbing the next soapy one to rinse. In theory if you got in the habit of using it you could cut your rinse water consumption by perhaps

50%. That could equate to several gallons per load of dishes. Conserving water is never a bad thing.
Reply to
Pete C.

Yes

No

Yes, more that one

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

What's even scarier is that people buy the same faucet as you BECAUSE it has a "pause" button !

Reply to
HeyBub

-snip-

I mucked around with Brita for several years before I got one of these--

$40 - no pitcher- change filter every 6 months- works as well as [better than?] the Brita, IMO.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I have a granite countertop with two sinks. The faucet is used for both sinks. When switching from one sink to the other it would be nice to stop the water for a second as the granite between the sinks is crossed. Not a big deal, but I bet I would use it.

Reply to
Pat

Jim Elbrecht wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Thanks, Jim. On my wishlist. But I still have a lot of Brita filters to use up ...

Reply to
Han

"HeyBub" wrote in news:OLKdnXTVSe4hGlnNnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

And then you have toasters with a "cancel" button. It's too much trouble just to push the lever back up again, like in the old days?

Reply to
Tegger

Derby Dad:

Phone up the faucet manufacturer's 1-800 Customer Service phone number and they'll tell you what the reason for having that feature is.

If I had to guess at a reason for that feature, I'd be inclined to guess that restaurants might need that kind of feature to fill a tray of glasses (say) with water without getting water all over the sides of the glasses or onto the tray so the bottoms would be wet. It's just a guess, but it's my best guess.

You don't need to read the rest.

Not everything has to have a practical purpose for it's existance. If you can give me one solid reason to have a decorated tree in your house at Christmas, I'll eat my hat.

When I read the user's manual for some of the new products I buy, I often see features that strike me as not having any obvious purpose.

For example, on the new stoves I purchased about a ten years ago, there was a feature that allowed the user to set the stove oven to heat at an extremely low temperature (just above room temperature) for up to 72 hours before the oven would bake or broil at it's normal temperature. And, just like you, I presumed this was for people who wanted the oven to bake or roast supper for them while they were at work. But this feature allowed the user to set the oven to come on a full 72 hours in advance, and included a feature to over-ride that control so that you could use the oven within the 72 hours, but it would still come on up to

72 hours after having been initially set. Obviously a feature meant for someone who couldn't make up his mind(?) That didn't make any sense to me at all, so I phoned up Frigidaire.

It turns out that orthodox Jews believe that causing a spark on the Sabbath is a sin. That's because in the old days, they used to start their stove fires with flint, and cooking is women's work, and no one is allowed to work on the Sabath. So, in the old days, Orthodox Jews would keep a candle (or two) burning all night so that the fire from it could be used to start their wood stoves on the Sabath. Since it's possible for a spark to occur within the oven control when you turn the oven on, Orthodox Jews needed a way of turning the oven on prior to the Sabath so as not to cause a spark on that day. Hence the feature. The wife could set the time the oven should come on up to 3 days in advance to bake or broil the Sabbath meal, but still use the oven normally until the midnight before the Sabbath.

The manufacturers of products get requests for features like this from different groups that apparantly have no obvious purpose to you or I, but do to someone else.

Reply to
nestork

Jim, does this have any kinda bypass switch? I ask because there would be times I don't want / need filtered water.

Reply to
Doug

I was looking at a filter and extra cold water tap, but how would I cut a hole in stainless steel ?

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Use a bi-metal hole saw.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I was wondering if the water stream stops and hangs motionless in midair when you press the pause button? ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

...snip...

But I'm glad I did.

Stop by next weekend when the girls will be home from college. Bring your hat, and some seasoning if you like. Spend the day with us as we head over to a Christmas tree farm, cut down a tree and bring it home to decorate, just like we've doing for 20-something years. You can wash your cap down with some home made hot chocolate that my wife will be making.

When the girls were home for Thanksgiving they made sure we put the Christmas tree hunt on the calendar for the first weekend they were home. If after the spending the day with us, you don't think that two socially active college students wanting to spend the day with their family decorating a Christmas tree is a "solid reason" to have one in the house, I promise to feel sorry for you.

Kind of like when you don't see the obvious purpose of a decorated tree in a house at Christmas.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Maybe the faucet designer used to work for the Tivo and DVR industry? Does the OP facuet have fast forward, also?

.

I was wondering if the water stream stops and hangs motionless in midair when you press the pause button? ^_^

TDD

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Nope. I put it on the cold side, so if you really didn't *want* filtered water you could use hot.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Having a discrete faucet makes it last longer as long as it's sanitary. I don't need filtered water to clean my dishes.

Greg

Reply to
gregz