OT: Wireless speakers (not Bluetooth)

Hi folks ;-)

I want to fit a wireless "extension speaker" in my kitchen (and perhaps elsewhere), to work off my hi-fi. Currently I've got a pair of Thomson UHF wireless headphones (863 MHz or so) with a charger/docking station/transmitter that work very well. They work throughout the property and even out in the car park. I would like some speakers that use the same technology, preferably using the same transmitter.

I'm sure that they must have made such things in the past, but nowadays everyone says, "Bluetooth, Bluetooth." I use Bluetooth for some purposes, but it's not suitable for this application, due to (a) the lack of range, (b) uncertain pairing, but mainly (c) the latency. I will be able to hear the main speakers in the kitchen and don't want the echo effect.

Can anyone help?

Reply to
Max Demian

something WiFi enabled to stream from your media server would be more the in thing these days ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

But that also has latency. The old analogue devices never had that issue. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

tabbypurr

I've looked at that and it deals almost exclusively with *wired* distribution, the only exception being a reference to "Wireless data links" which "give poorer synchronisation and sometimes breakup".

I've tried FM transmitters; I bought an "Alba FM Transmitter" from Argos

; this kind of thing is usually used to feed music from an MP3 player to a car radio, but it can be fitted with batteries rather than being powered from the car cigarette socket. I used this to feed to FM transistor radios, but there was a significant click about every second. I returned it, but the replacement was the same. Also the batteries (2xAAAs - I used rechargeables) had to be changed every day as it can't be switched off completely.

Then I bought some FM wireless headphones from Amazon

, and, though they work reasonably well through the headphones provide I wasn't able to get the transmitter to feed other FM radios.

Then I got the Thomson headphones, but I don't know how I can get the transmitter to feed loudspeakers.

Reply to
Max Demian

Correct. Why do you think that is?

So, tell us again, why do you think you were offered information on _wired_ distribution?

Reply to
tabbypurr

Because I specifically asked for *wireless* and you are being contrary?

I know there used to be analogue wireless speakers but it's all Bluetooth these days. Since my Thomson headphones work perfectly well there's no reason why the same technology can't work with speakers. And there's no reason why low power FM shouldn't be available except the lack of demand except in car. There must be old stock available of analogue wireless speakers but I can't work out how to search Amazon/eBay/&c. for this specifically.

Reply to
Max Demian

Is Google Home Mini or Google Chromecast Audio helpful to you? They connect by wifi and provide decent quality but will lag behind your wired speakers. Having all your speakers connected this way would avoid lag but is more costly and you need a smartphone app to control them.

We went all wireless because long runs of wire would be too messy.

Reply to
pamela

Reply to
tabbypurr

I already have speakers connected to my hi-fi. I just need a speaker in my kitchen that synchronises, preferably without too much fancy tech.

Reply to
Max Demian

That will be because that's the easy way to get low latency. Otherwise you could add delay to the main speakers ...

How hard can it be to hook up a spare wall wart?

Pull the headphones apart and add a pair of powered speakers. You could even just add a couple of phono sockets, so the headphones where still usable.

Reply to
Rob Morley

You might have some difficulty getting hold of the kit to do exactly what you want. Mostly because many of the (legal) FM transmitters were at best fairly poor. Modern digital options tend to outperform them.

Personally I would get a couple of Chromecast audio devices, and some active speakers (or a separate amp and normal speakers) for the kitchen. Then if you want to listen to both locations at the same time, you can cast to both devices, and they will still be in synch:

Chromecast audio devices can play from a wide variety of sources including internet radio, and all the usual streaming services, plus any DLNA compatible devices like a NAS etc, or from a software DLNA server (e.g. Plex server) running on a computer or laptop.

Reply to
John Rumm

Google Home Mini might be better value than Chromecast despite costing an extra ?4 as I believe it contains all Chromecast's function as well as a small speaker and the Alexa voice command stuff.

Reply to
pamela

Yup fair point... depends on what audio quality/convenience trade off you are after I suppose.

Reply to
John Rumm

It's the clicking that's the problem. Maybe I should try a different FM transmitter. The ability to receive the signal on any FM receiver is a plus point.

Interesting idea. They do appear to come apart fairly easily.

Reply to
Max Demian