Computer Bluetooth question

I hope this qualifies as DIY as I am hoping to do the job myself!

I have a new Fitbit, which I cannot pair with my PC (it works fine with my iPad). The message is that I need to turn on Bluetooth. However, I already have a wireless keyboard and wireless mouse, which I assume are Bluetooth devices.

I have two dongles a the moment - one for the keyboard and one for the mouse. Both are HP, so I wonder if I need two. More immediately, I thought Fitbit would work with any generic Bluetooth adapter. Is a keyboard adapter more limited in its capabilities than a Bluetooth adapter? Any ideas? Bizarrely, my old Fitbit worked okay.

Reply to
Scott

BZZZZT!

More likely to be a proprietary 2.4GHz protocol.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Thanks for your fast reply. I have now found 'Note: The Bluetooth switch only appears on your system when Windows detects a Bluetooth adapter.' I assume this means that the two dongles are not Bluetooth adapters as such.

I still wonder if I need both.

It sounds like I need a Bluetooth dongle but not a proprietory Fitbit one?

Reply to
Scott

What version of Windows?

Some non-bluetooth dongles support multiple devices (e.g. the logitech unifying receivers)

e.g.

Andy Burns

Sorry that's an auction link, expect to pay about £2.60 for BIN, avoid getting BT 1.x, 2.x etc ... does fitbit require specific BT level?

Reply to
Andy Burns

W10

I have now tried taking each out in turn and both are needed.

I actually have enough ports so it there is no need.

No need to get the dedicated Fitbit version?

Reply to
Scott

No, but from a quick read, fitbits need at least BT 4.0 "low energy" aka BLE

Reply to
Andy Burns

Bluetooth 4.0 radio transceiver.

Reply to
Scott

It looks like ASUS USB-BT400 Bluetooth USB Adapter would be suitable and *may* link the keyboard and mouse as well.

Reply to
Scott

yes looks it

It'll work with bluetooth keyboards and mice, but it doesn't sound like your existing ones are bluetooth ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

thought they were 27Mhz?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That is not a valid assumption. While you can get bluetooth keyboards/mice, but they are not the standard PC wireless keyboard technology.

You can have a so called "unifying" receiver that does both.

You probably need to add a USB bluetooh adaptor - then windows will recognise it as such.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thought that was CB radio and model planes?

Just checked Logitech and Keysonic keyboard/mice and they certainly say

2.4GHz
Reply to
Andy Burns

Thanks for all your help. I learned something new today. I'll go ahead and get the adapter and report the outcome. .

Reply to
Scott

A few are, but most are indeed 2.4GHz

dkol

Are you sure the keyboard and mouse are truly bluetooth? Mine are not.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The puzzling bit is you said it worked with an old fitbit, although the new bluetooth is probably on it, they usually allow connection to an older system. There is also an issue with my Iphone and some bluetooth speakers but a keyboard works so I'm seriously wondering if there are compatability issues with bluetooth these days. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I'm puzzled about that too.

Andy has indicated that very few keyboards are Bluetooth.

Reply to
Scott

Thanks. This seems to be the answer.

Reply to
Scott

Is it a laptop or desktop?

Does anything show up as Bluetooth in device manager, maybe older fitbits didn't require BLE?

Reply to
Andy Burns