Computer keyboard and mouse question

Hi, I'm sorry if this is the wrong group but hoping someone can help. I ordered a desktop computer with Win10 that came with mouse and keyboard. The computer plug ins on the back of computer for these are round pin type, but the mouse and keyboard that came with it have the slotted flat plug ends. I have a man coming from Best Buy on Tuesday and wonder what type if any adapters there are for this. Thanks to anyone who can help, I am not computer savvy at all.

Reply to
Cheri

Not savvy either but consider wireless. Cheap.

Reply to
Thomas

Does the computer have any of the flat slots on the back ? Those are called USB ports and if there are any , you can plug the keyboard and mouse into any of them and Win10 will find them.

They do make the adapters for this, but most computers have not used the round plugs in years.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Thank you so much for that answer! I can now see what you mean. You have been most helpful.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

Thank you Thomas but I have what I have.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

Did sound strange that the mouse was not corded with a USB connector which as Ralph says can go into any USB port. If wireless then all mouse needs is a battery. Same for keyboard.

Don't know if computers have built in wireless connectors and only wireless mouse I have has a wireless receiver that you plug into a USB port on the computer.

Reply to
Frank

Unless the computer is over about 10 years old it will have 4 or more "usb" ports to plug the keyboard and mouse into.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Thank you, it does, and it's hooked up now. Thanks to all.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

With all that said, treat yourself to a cordless mouse. Your computing life will be much easier for about $20. Cord on the keyboard is not so bad, but sure makes a difference on the mouse.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The round jacks are for people who have a favorite keyboard or mouse that has a round plug (PS-2). Everyone else uses USB plugs and jacks.

They are also used for flashdrives (also called disk on key, etc.) and sometimes for headphones, external speakers, external harddrives, external floppy drives, etc.

There are some jacks in the back and some in the front. If you use them all up, you can get a little, cheap thing that's like an extension cord for USB, that has 3 or more usb jacks and one usb plug.

I have no desire for wireless. I'm sitting right here and so is the mouse. Plus with wireless, there is a battery in the mouse and another in the keyboard. Who needs that. If I ever decide to sit far away, I'll get wireless, or a usb extension cord.

Reply to
micky

You wouldn't believe how handy the cord is for finding the "rodent" when it burrows into the crap on your desk though!!!!

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I'm surprised a new computer even has PS2 connectors. Serial and parallel ports have went the way of the dodo. My Dell is three years old and doesn't have them.

As an aside, crawling under the desk to check resulted in finding the Petzl headlamp I've been looking for for months, a glove, and a reminder it's time to vacuum the computer...

Reply to
rbowman

Thanks Ed, I will do that soon.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

Thanks for that perspective too, I really am OK with the mouse and the cord as well.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

I haven't seen the PS2 (didn't know what they were called until today) since Win98. I just never have hooked things up before, had the Geek Squad do them, so am not too knowledgeable about all of it, but it was really pretty simple after the advice I got from the newsgroups. It was appreciated.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

I like the Logitech unifying receiver system. You can control up to 6 devices with one USB receiver and they work 25-30 feet away with line of sight.

That is handy if you are running a motel TV from your laptop. There are also several keyboards that work with that system

Reply to
gfretwell

USB makes it a lot easier. Getting the PS2 connectors turned right when you were standing on your could be tricky. I do have a PS2 to USB adapter among the little on my desk, but they I also have a PS2 to AT adapter. Junk accumulates over the years and you never know when it might come in handy :)

Reply to
rbowman

I'm assuming it's an optical mouse. (light in the bottom instead of a ball) I never went to wireless but optical sure are nice. No more taking the ball out and scraping crud off the rollers.

Reply to
rbowman

Yes, it is optical. I always hated cleaning those old types.

Cheri

Reply to
Cheri

They disappeared over 15 years ago. Is that round connector even for a keyb oard? And unless it's some custom made system, all systems from any manufac turer come with a quick start sheet, color coded cables, etc that show how you plug it together. I doubt you could find any new motherboard with a PS

2 connector.

Reply to
trader_4