Computer keyboard and mouse question

AT it's most minimum level, all a motherboard needs is enough code to get the hardware running up to the point of loading the operating system, or whatever code it's ultimately going to run. When it powers up, the CPU goes to it's reset location in memory and starts fetching the first instructions, from there and executing them. That code has to be in Flash or some kind of non-volatile memory, so it's always there at power-up. That first code then initializes whatever hardware in the system needs to be setup in order to get enough of it running so that it can load more code, eg loading the OS from a disk drive, to make it fully functional, a process called bootstrapping.

Reply to
trader_4

I doubt that. Last I looked it's encoded in flash memory on the MB.

Reply to
Vic Smith

Hence "Basic Input Output System". That firmware is what makes all of the various chip sets speak "Intel".

Reply to
gfretwell

It's more like speak IBM and MSFT. They are the ones that came up with the BIOS that went into the first Intel architecture PCs that became the modern PC industry, not Intel. At that point, Intel was just a chip manufacturer and IBM wound up picking the 8088 as the CPU for it;s first PC.

Reply to
trader_4
[snip]

I remember one system (from when USB was new) where I connected a PS/2 keyboard for use in BIOS setup. That BIOS didn't use a mouse so USB was OK for that. It was a few more years before BIOS had USB support. Also, that old system had only 2 USB ports and I wanted to leave one free for a USB storage device.

Note that if you're going to use a PS/2 device, it has to be connected at system boot, unlike USB which can be plugged in anytime.

IIRC, "both" devices (keyboards / mice that work on USB or PS/2) are in USB mode initially, but switch if they detect a PS/2 initialization from the PC (which happens only at boot).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

That could have happened, putting it in some sort of test mode. However, it'd be hard to find the proper reset command to fix it.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Not on a UEFI board. The BIOS is emulated in the UEFI -on virtually ALL of them

Reply to
Clare Snyder
[snip]

The Wikipedia article at

shows 7 varieties of mini-DIN. The one in the middle looks like a PS/2 connector.

BTW, normal DIN is at

. I have seen the 5,6, and 8 pin varieties.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

Apparently BIOS didn't have USB support for several years after the PCs had USB ports. I'm not sure just how long. Does anyone know?

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

True, although they did at the time when you couldn't use USB until the OS loaded.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

Although I'd try to use the correct term, UEFI (or "firmware" is this is unknown).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

Win95B "Detroit". was the first with USB support. Also:

long file name support, a Windows (not DOS) feature DOS 7.1 with FAT32 support.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

Before IBM PC, CP/M used the term BIOS although that module was loaded from disk by the boot code.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

One of my projects in '99 was cleaning up legacy code in preparation for Y2K. Some programmers apparently didn't think we'd make it to 2000. They were the same people who used signed shorts to save a couple of bytes in key data structures. Who would ever need more than 32,737 of anything?

2000 was the beginning of the end of AIX for us. iirc AIX 4.1 was y2k compliant but wouldn't run on older RS6000 servers. Sites looked at the price of new IBM hardware and Windows Server started looked very good to them.

I was on call on Dec 31 and went to the local First Night functions. When the Ed Norton Big Band struck up auld lang Syne in the University Ballroom and the lights didn't go out I figured I might as well go home and go to bed.

Reply to
rbowman

A rose by any other name like UEFI is still essentially a rose.

Reply to
rbowman

Unified Extensible Firmware Interface.

Reply to
rbowman

All PS/2 connectors are mini-DIN but not all mini-DIN patterns are PS/2.

Reply to
rbowman

Ok, seems to do the same thing,a program that runs to start with to get access to the hard drive or other starting device that contains the programs you want to use.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I was just using Intel to refer to the instruction set also called Wintel. It actually had it's roots in CP/M. Bill Gates bought the MS DOS software from the guy who stole it from Digital Research.

Reply to
gfretwell

The Bios has nothing to do with the instruction set, which is solely defined by the architects of the microprocessor and is implemented in the microprocessor. The Bios is the low layer software that existed between the OS and the hardware and boots the OS. The Bios is essentially OS independent, which is why you can run OS's other than MSFT ones on the same motherboard.