Bluetooth problem.

Can't get my Win10 laptop to pair with my Android phone. Phone pairs nicely with my car and TV. Also says visible to nearby devices. And shows my laptop by name.

Tell it to pair with the laptop, and the request appears on the laptop. Click on that, and the connection window appears, but minimised - so you can't see the phone name and box to enter the code. Laptop Bluetooth does work, as I'm using a Bluetooth mouse with it.

If I tell the laptop to find new Bluetooth devices, it does find next door's Bose something or other. But not my phone.

I've Googled extensively. Seems it's not unknown. But no fix on how to full size the connection window. Some say using tab (or tab and enter) brings up the correct boxes in the connection window, but not here. Others say the arrow keys work. Tab enter sometimes shows the phone name. But can't get it to the box for the pairing code. The next enter cancels the connection window.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Alt-space, then click restore or maximise?

or if it's off the edge of the screen

Alt-space, then move, then use arrows to reposition it and enter to set the position?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Is that any different from right clicking on the window? The menu then does show restore and minimise,but greyed out.

It's in a normal position and width. But only shows the top bar and one thing under that. So normal width but not height.

I assume it should show a box with the phone name, another you enter the pair code, and go or cancel.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

A suggestion which may help.

Reset the Android device - I think you can just rest the network settings ( including Bluetooth). It is a while since I played with Android so I can?t recall the detail.

Then try again.

Certainly when I had trouble connecting my Android phone Bluetooth this worked. Of course it means re entering network details and reconnecting other devices but, for me at least, they all connected.

Not exactly a fix - ie this is the problem, do this to fix it. I suspect there is a latent conflict in the Android Bluetooth system which the reset gets around.

Reply to
Brian

Or it could be that both are running incompatible versions of Bluetooth. I've seen that when one for both are unable to handle devices with older blue tooth devices or if a newer one has already paired. To me this is a bit of a black art though. I had a similar issue with a keyboard and tv and phone. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

It sounds like the devices can see each other ok, just that the windows dialogue where you're required to enter the pairing code isn't displaying properly, so Dave can't complete the process.

Which bluetooth stack is installed? if you don't see "Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator" in device manager, I'd be tempted to remove everything bluetooth, and let the Microsoft stack install (it will still have e.g. Intel or Broadcomm etc drivers), if you're not sure of how to install from scratch, take a backup first.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Correct. My phone sees the laptop by name. Tell it to connect and a window pops up on the laptop asking you to allow this. Click on that, and another windows opens - which should allow you to enter the code. But as it's minimised, you can't see all the fields, or change the window to full size. Just as I did with other things before. Device manager shows the correct bluetooth modules for the phone - by phone model - installed.

Tell the laptop to search for bluetooth devices and it doesn't find the phone, though. Which suggest to me it already knows it is there - since it has the drivers loaded, so not a new device to it.

I'm a bit wary as the only thing I really use Bluetooth for is the mouse, which works just fine. I can link the phone to the PC via Wi-Fi which is faster. So more just curious about this fault. Found an MS forum online, and it's a known problem. Sadly none of the 'fixes' mentioned there worked here. Not surprising as they told me nothing I hadn't already tried.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Anything if you run fsquirt.exe ?

Reply to
Andy Burns

mice/keyboards/headsets etc often use fixed PINs like 1111 or 1234.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Going to file transfer, it shows my old phone as a destination, although it's not even powered up. But not the current one. Which doesn't surprise me as it's not paired.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News