Smoke from neigjbours in semi detached jouse

Smoke coming into my bedroom from next door neighbours. Seems to be coming through up through floor. I have managed to foam fill and caulk behind cupboards and they are smoke free but rest of the room stinks. Any suggestions? Will i ever sort it ?

Reply to
Rachael P

Call the fire brigade! Your neighbour's house is on fire!

Reply to
Max Demian

When you say smoke, do you mean cigarette? There has to be a shared void with a vent to the outside somewhere. I have this issue in a cupboard in my kitchen. I have taped it up but its amazing how penetrating this is. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Typically caused by defective flues. In older houses especially the brickwork separating the two flues has suffered spalling of the mortar and brickwork of the "feather". This allows flue gases to cross from one to the other. In extreme cases the leakage can escape into the next dwelling. I'd suggest you carry out a proper survey as such cases have been known to lead to carbon monoxide poisoning of neighbours.

Reply to
Cynic

Given that it's causing the neighbour no trouble at all, and it's likely to be expensive to fix (flue liner, I guess), you may need to consult a solicitor.

In the meantime, buy a carbon monoxide detector.

Reply to
GB

If you are going out for the day, drop a load of stink bombs in your house just before you go out.

Reply to
Andy Bennet

As already indicated, it would help to know first if this is smoke from (a) cigarettes/cigars/pipes or (b) burning wood/solid fuel. If you can't tell from the smell then look for smoke coming from their chimney.

Reply to
Robin

I would get building control on the case ASAP.

Your neighbours may have installed a log burner without having the chimney inspected or cleaned, or they have simply decided to start using an open fire that been unused for years.

Reply to
Andrew

My parents experienced a similar problem in their semi-detached house. Whenever next door cooked anything with a strong smell the smell would become quickly apparent in their own home.

It turned out that that part of the party wall below the floorboards had gaps in it which allowed the smells through. Several trowels full of mortar fixed the problem.

Not uncommon, since a brick party wall isn't built to the same standards as an outside one (which is pointed to make it waterproof). Gaps between the bricks happen. Of course plaster will fill those, but there won't be any under the floors, etc.

One way might be to pressurise the room with a fan blowing in from outside. To stop air travelling from their side to yours.

But an air filter system would probably be cheaper to run.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You are unlikely to find out. The OP is from home owners hub and they don't seem to find the replies to their own posts on that web site.

Reply to
alan_m

Oh yes but, living without open fires in my second childhood, I look upon occasional replies to them as a substitute for writing messages on pieces of paper and sending them up the chimney.

Reply to
Robin