Smoke through party wall

My daughter has recently moved into a 1930s semi and, after a few weeks, is finding that one of the bedrooms smells strongly of tobacco smoke in the mornings. No one in the house smokes and it's presumed that it's coming from next door. Obvious possibilities are: through the window - unlikely? through blocked up flue; through hidden air vent ?

Other possibilities to investigate or suggestions for treatment would be appreciated as the bedroom in question is granddaughters (12 months) and she has been sleeping badly recently (?connection?) and I'd like to help get it sorted pdq.

Reply to
John Cartmell

The house might have caught fire at sometime before she bought it, and the walls might have just been painted over?

Reply to
ben

Don't think so. The smell wasn't there a few weeks ago but has been quite clear for the last few mornings - and daughter reckons it is tobacco. There are no signs of there having been a fire.

Reply to
John Cartmell

In message , John Cartmell writes

I assume the bedroom is on the party wall side of the house? Can you lift the flooring and check the wall, could be gaps where the floor joists are fitted into the brick work. Via the attic? Again are there gaps in the party wall?

Reply to
Bill

[snip]

It might only appear at humid conditions? there won't be any signs of house being on fire if the job was well done to cover up the signs?

Other possibility knock next door and ask does anyone smoke in that house, heavily.

A ghost. :-)

Reply to
ben

Through the party wall either in the attic or under the bedroom floorboards or under the ground floor. In 1930's houses it wasn't at all uncommon to have large gaps in the brickwork in any of these places.

Reply to
Peter Parry

An item to check certainly. And thanks for the humidity clue.

We know the neighbours do smoke. It's how the smoke gets into my g'daughtr's bedroom that's the problem.

Now that's an interesting line! ;-)

Reply to
John Cartmell

Thanks to Bill and Peter. Lots of investigating to do ... ;-(

Reply to
John Cartmell

In message , John Cartmell writes

Good luck, please let us know how you get on.

Reply to
Bill

If no-one else smells it, I'd suggest a pregnancy test....

Reply to
Suz

My guess would be poor mortar work in the party wall behind the skirting or in the floor void beneath.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Now that's an option I hadn't considered! ;-)

Reply to
John Cartmell

My mum had a similar problem in a 2nd floor flat. Turned out that all the service pipes/cables went up & down in one corner and were boxed in badly with plasterboard. It was sealed with silicone and solved the problem.

I reckon there is a pathway between the bedroom & next door, maybe in the loft or under the floor.

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

Undoubtedly coming in under the floorboards. Drove my GF mad at her place. We were all set to pull up the floorboards on every floor and get stuck in with expanding foam sprays. In the end she decided to move, I'm glad to say. I don't envy you, you've probably got a lot of work ahead if you want to fix this.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
Mark A

If it's just one of the bedrooms, shouldn't be too much work to render the party wall under those floorboards and behind the skirting.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

let us know how you get on

Reply to