Wireless . Not sure...

In my home i have a wireless connection that requires ip addresses. At my school ,the wireless is automatic ,so i don't need to enter any ip addresses.If i configure my wireless adapter and enter the ip addresses in order to use it at my home, can i use the wireless at my school without having to take out the ip addressees?

Thanx

Reply to
buli

This isn't exactly the right group for such a question but there are a lot of nice knowledgeable people who hang out here who would be glad to offer advice. You should be able to setup your computer with different selectable profiles for more than one network. It's been my experience with both Apple and PC computers that the wireless applications give you a choice of which network you wish to access from a list, each choice having different parameters. You setup a profile and there should be an option to save and label it, such as "Home" or "School".

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

just configure the home one for dhcp. automatic addressing.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Configure both connections for DHCP. It's in the network settings. All one needs is an IP server at each location.

Reply to
Oren

Steve Barker wrote in news:gYadneFTy5YfrUDUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

and not that anything is 'safe' but dhcp is better than a static ip from a hacking standpoint. Used to be many moons ago anyway.

Reply to
Red Green

Your wireless router will supply IP addresses to your home network, and connect your home network to your broadban provider network. If the laptop your company provides is set to have a fixed IP, you may have to add that IP to the list/range of IP's your router will create at home. This way you can re-use the laptop at home or work as there is a router present to make your fixed IP. Chances are your work computer is NOT set to a fixed IP unless you do something at work that would require a fixed IP. So just set your wireless router to use DHCP and MAC address cloning (from a computer you know already works with your existing broadband vendor). And you should be good to go. Your computer will be given the next available IP under 192.168.x.x (default private network). The IP address of your router will usually be 192.168.1.1 (for admin purposes) the router will assign addresses from the range you set, but by default it will begin at 192.168.1.100,

192.168.1.101, etc...

HTH's

Reply to
RickH

Hi, Ever heard of wireless connection profile? By configuring several different profile for your needs, You can connect to many different wireless access point.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Try it and see if you can.

Reply to
mm

Put in a router at home that handles the IP to your supplier and issues your computer an "internal" ip - then set your computer to automatically detect the address. That's how it works at school. (I suspect you are using a "phone based" (ADSL) system using PPPoE instead of straight TCP/IP)

Reply to
clare

I think the OP has all he needs for hardware. OP needs a separate connection for each network, being connected.

If he has ADSL, even there is ADSL wireless (now). He states both connections are wireless.

He can just configure the network layer, on the machine.

Reply to
Oren

If he turns on DHCP on his home router he should be able to connect to both with no problems on one connection.

Reply to
clare