Wireless

I need two wireless devices at my home.

1). I want to set up a wireless intercom system at my home. This should cover three floors and transceivers should be powered from standard outlets.

2). I have a wired door chime with one chime close to the front door. I want to be able to hear the door chime from the upper and lower levels and to do this wirelessly.

Anyone aware of devices which accomplish one or both of these?

Peter.

Reply to
PVR

There are many, many wireless intercom systems to choose from. One source:

You can get wireless doorbell chimes; even the big box stores carry them. You can also get a doorbell "repeater". This is a small battery powered transmitter that you place near the existing chime, and a plug-in receiver you place remotely. when the existing chime goes off, the repeater sounds the remote chime. This system will accept more than one remote chime, you just set to the same channel. I used one of these to act as a remote dryer buzzer to let me know when the clothes drying in the basement finished its cycle. Got it at Lowes.

HTH,

Paul

Reply to
Paul Franklin

I only konw about the doorbell. I got one of the cheapest wireless doorbells you'd every see**.

Now I'm using it at my house, and I soldered a jumper over the switch contacts so it's as if the switch is always on. For power, I ran one wire from the secondary of the doorbell transformer and the other from the wire that is only hot when the real doorbell button is pressed. I think that gave 18 volts (because I have the bigger higher voltage doorbell transformer) so I put in a little diode to make it 9 volts DC which is what the wireless button was meant to run on. The button is mounted on same joist that the transformer is mounted on.

Then I plugged in the receiver in the upstairs hall.

There is only one button for my house, and that triggers a ding-dong in the front hall, an old ding-dong in the basement, and the new transitter, which causes the upstairs thing to make some noise I can't describe. I no longer miss visitors, like the mailman, when I'm upstairs.

** About 18 years ago it was mail-order from something like Sunset House about 3 dollars, in a plain white box with no apparent brand. My mother had an apartment with a steel doorframe and cement walls and no doorbell, so it was the only practical thing for her.
Reply to
mm

My wireless doorbell signal would not reach the middle of my house where I wanted it.

I had to solder an 'antenna' wire on the transmitter so it had greater range.

Reply to
ValveJob

I have just bought a phone system interceptor from Quantmetrix. It goes in the phone line and has a speaker and push button at the door. When some rings the door bell, it rings a tone on any phone in the house. My phones in the house are Panasonic expandable cordless phones (KX-TG5583), which act as intercom as well. So it works out that I can answer the door from anywhere in the house and I can use the cordless phones as an intercom as well.

It's an easy install (though their direction are lacking).

The Phonebell I have is the Q-10D ($189.00) with a the door speaker ($59.00), which can control 2 doors and will allow alarm systems (like ADT) and DSL to pass through. It also has provisions for unlocking and locking the doors from the cordless phone as well.

You can get them wired or wireless. The door bell system I have was instaled with Cat. 5 cable so the hard part of wiring is already in place.

Good luck.

Reply to
Frank