--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
On 11/03/2019 12:42, Graham. wrote:

Disagree. Installing a doorbell in an existing building can easily result in untidy wiring, We have an existing wired doorbell installed in the house when newly built 20yrs ago in the hallway by the front door. We needed a repeater in a room to the rear of the house which would have been difficult to wire in. A wirless doorbell extender was the answer with the advantage of being able to tale the receiver(battery powered) into the garden when working outside.
Malcolm

https://www.avg.com

+1
Wireless doorbells have their place. We had a conservatory installed at the front, and a wireless doorbell avoided having to drill holes in walls and string wires along the supporting beams.
--

Chris

On 11/03/2019 15:51, Chris Hogg wrote:

+2, if you have a big house. I have a wired bell that also switches a wireless sender, and apart from a fixed receiver in my office I have a battery one that can go out into the garden or workshop.
On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 20:17:19 +0000, newshound

installed

was

receiver(battery

However, wireless doorbells have a downside - the sound is always the same no matter how long or short the button press is, so you can't tell how desperate the caller is. A short blip from a leafleter who doesn't really wan't a reply sounds the same as a long press from your neighbour who has been blocked in by your car.
--
Dave W

On 11/03/2019 21:17, Dave W wrote:

If our doorbell rings and I haven't ordered a takeaway I don't get up.
On 14/03/2019 17:24, R D S wrote:

Intercom system? Or you just don't care if the police are evacuating the area because of unexploded bomb, chemical spill, marauding gang of angle-grinder wielding Amazons or whatever?
--
Robin
On 14/03/2019 17:58, Robin wrote:

Well i'd see the blue lights then. Or presumably they'd ring/bang persistently.
On 14/03/2019 18:09, R D S wrote:

They don't, having been evacuated due to a bomb. They ring and are next door before you can get to the door.
On 14/03/2019 20:24, dennis@home wrote:

I'll start answering the door then! And make the possibility of close proximity UXBs a primary concern :)

Its bombs planted by terrorists that you have to worry about.
Didn’t you ever watch Spooks ?

Don’t you ever have anyone you know show up without saying they will be coming round ?
You might be sorry when someone is trying to tell you that smoke is pouring from your house that you can't see.

Hope you never want an extra socket or light, then. Or perhaps you've found a source of wireless ones?
--
*Speak softly and carry a cellular phone *

On Mon, 11 Mar 2019 12:42:42 +0000

I fitted one of those once, it rang fairly randomly - I'm guessing it wasn't smart enough to tell that the various other radio tech we have wasn't talking to it. Took it back for a refund after a couple of days getting annoyed by it. We now have a good old low-tech electromechanical doorbell.

I can understand that if you like to take the thermostat with you to the room you're occupying, or if you're experimenting with different locations to find the most appropriate.

I can sort of see the point of this - my key ring is quite full, and it dangles from the steering column in an occasionally intrusive manner.

"the defendant is now in a new relationship and is pregnant"
Well good luck with that then ...
On 11/03/2019 16:03, Rob Morley wrote:

The main function of keyless ignition seems to be to make cars much easier to steal.
Mike Clarke wrote:

That's keyless entry.
Keyless ignition merely makes it possible to drive your car away from where the keys are, so you can't re-start it to drive it back and collect those keys.
On Monday, March 11, 2019 at 4:23:55 PM UTC, Andy Burns wrote:

Ho yus, my wife once set off on a two hour trip without the key fob because some idiot had it in his trouser pocket. Luckily said idiot discovered said fob within a few minutes and was able to phone her and get her to come back.

Doesn’t work with the dinosaurs that are too stupid to have a mobile phone.
On 11/03/2019 16:13, Mike Clarke wrote:

+1

Does that apply to all makes - or only some? Land Rover/Jaguar seem particularly vulnerable.
--
*A closed mouth gathers no feet.*