Plastic Rawlplug Success

Maybe everybody does this, but...

Heavy curtains, rail about 100mm from wall so lots of leverage.

Over the years, two brackets at one end have failed a couple of times and have been fixed by using larger plugs. This time, the holes are just too big. It's crumbly mortar and plaster which is the problem. Unfortunate as the other five brackets are nice and solid in brick.

So, I hoover out the 10-15mm crumbly holes, squirt in some hot melt glue, position a new rawlplug, then fill around it as best I can with more hot melt glue. Trim excess and refit brackets.

Solid as a rock.

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Car body filler works as well. Two part epoxy works but it's quite expensive. You can use a fiver's worth on one hole!

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

If you do you're paying way too much for the stuff Usually I find painting the hole with PVA before polyfilling works fine.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yip +1 hoover out/PVA/pollyfilla.

Reply to
ss

A good method indeed, but I'd have to buy some Polyfilla (I have some PVA), then when set, drill it to take the plug. With the hot melt glue gun, bish-bash-bosh, sorted, no mess.

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

I usually set the plug in the Polyfilla before it hardens. I don't think I've not had Polyfilla (although I use that as a generic term, because I wouldn't buy the expensive stuff) ready for use since forever

- it's one of those things Rawl Plugs (generic, see above) that you just /have/.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Depends on the hole

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Polyfilla is just plaster. It's crap for taking a load.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

No, it doesn't. You're either paying way too much or inappropriately fillin g drainpipe sized holed through walls with epoxy.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It has enough compressive strength for almost everything. Radiators, banisters, handrails, cupboards, all sorts. And I do not do weak fixings. I wonder if you've been using too short screws.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

A good idea! I usually wrap a long strip of paper round one, and push that in (assuming the hole is still basically cylindrical), but I'm always looking for other ways of doing things.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

I use screws with a length appropriate for the plug. I wouldn't trust any fixing that was only into plaster or polyfilla. Masonry fixings have to be into something solid: brick, stone, or concrete.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I use various ones; normally get them from RS. I use the one that has aluminium granules in it mostly.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

bonkers prices

A quick search gave this

that's polyester resin though.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

nisters, handrails, cupboards, all sorts. And I do not do weak fixings. I w onder if you've been using too short screws.

You're doing something wrong if you can't suspend yourself off a screw into polyfiller type fillers. I'm not sure what but likely screws too short. Fo r a medium load I'll use 2.5" screw into plugs in polyfilla in a larger mas onry hole. 3" for heavy duty loads. Nothing shifts it.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Whenever I've had a fastener pull out of a plaster wall and repaired it with a good splat of Polyfilla it seems to have resulted in a stronger fixing.

Reply to
Rob Morley